No announcement yet.

The first sowing of 2017!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first things I'll be sowing will probably be leeks probably around the end of January. Then 1st February it'll be my chillies closely followed by my tomatoes. Once March arrives it'll be time to put up my big blow away (the little one is still up) and it'll be all systems go. Both blow away's will be full of seedlings (hopefully).

Comment

Alpine strawberries that I got with the GYO mag yonks ago.
      Seeds are currently in the freezer for 4 weeks - due to take out and sow in the 1st week of January.

Oh, and trying onions from seed for the first time - Ailsa Craig that I got for free probably from GYO again.
      Last edited by KevinM67; 18-12-2016, 08:03 PM.
      .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Mid January I will be sowing 17 varieties of chillies. All will be sown in the heated propagator. Number of seeds depends on variety.
        I will probably sow my onion seeds as well ( thanks for reminding me Kevin ).

Comment

Peppers, tomato's and maybe parsnips.
          Indoors in pots.
          Parsnips so that I can see if any of the seed will still germinate or if I have to replace.
          Would prefer not to replace as that means I would also have to decide what to replace it with, same or different. Too many decisions.

Comment

Onion seeds followed by Leeks in a heated propagator in the conservatory before January(day after Boxing Day as we're over at our Daughters till then).

Comment

Well, goodbye to a very lazy and unproductive 2016! Disaster with the gales earlier, destroying my 9mx3m polytunnel. A re-occurence of my Hiatus Hernia knocking me out of kilter and generally demoralising me, so, with hope and a `fair`wind , PARSNIPS!!!( True & Tender ) they were an exceptional crop last year, but a no-goer this year, they were tasty.....
              Potatoes, have been a mixed result both in the ground and bags, better prep this time me thinks. Toms were the usual, in the GH, just going to cut back on the amounts, plants that is.
              I have Calabrese and leeks on the go in the GH, in trays and are sprouting well, but time is limited and I need to get them into pots!
              Of late I have collected nearly a dozen pallet collars from my work, all FOC! and the new year will see proper raised beds.
              Last edited by cheapskate chaz; 19-12-2016, 08:23 PM.
              Girls are like flowers, a little attention every day and they`ll blossom.

Comment

I'm away on hols for the whole of February, so I won't be sowing anything at all until early March. At which point I'll be sowing a hundred and one things. Latest start ever!
                My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I'm going to have limited space for growing next year, until we've sorted the garden - which is likely to be the year after (haha watch me kill off all the lawn putting pots everywhere!) - so priorities for me will be Chillis in Jan

Comment

Nope, I promised myself that after last years disasters - caused by my childish enthusiasm to get going that I will not do anything until March ish.
                    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

ish lumps? - there's definitely flexibility in there - I think you really mean early - mid January

Comment

Wash your mouth out with soap/wine/chocolate etc (please delete as applicable).

I really do have to wait though as I have no suitable window ledges, no greenhouse, north facing garden etc etc.

The only seeds I have that could be started earlier are my dwarf broad beans Robin Hood as at least they can go into the shed.
                        I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

I deliberately experimented with my carrots last year, sowing a pot of Nantes Frubund in early March and another in early April. By July I couldn't tell the difference, so I won't be stressing about sowing carrots outdoors in March this year. My main reason for getting things that can start early growing away is propagator/growlight space - once I start successional sowing peas they take up about half of one of the grow light gardens for most of the spring. The tomatoes and peppers hog much of the remainder.
                          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Added btr chillies to list (butch t reapers)

Comment

Me and my 2 little grandsons planted some conkers and acorns, some in the greenhouse and some in the garden.

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                                ?...I will be sowing 17 varieties of chillies....
                                How many!!

Anyone else getting twitchy?
                                aka
                                Suzie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X