X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bario1 View Post
    That's aphid damage.
    i read soap and water can help... so litterly put a bit of fairy liquid in a bowl and wipe the plants down?!
    assume will have to chop them leaves off
    412% of statistics are made up.

Comment

• Personally i never use the washing up liquid treatment - it killed a load of my chillies once (too strong i think). I just get all the aphids off (use a fine paintbrush) and the plants soon recover.
      He-Pep!

Comment

• read that the little buggers dont like onions because of the smell so advises to grow onions near plants infected. however.... im gonna take it to the next level and suggest maybe slicing an onion and rubbing it on the pepper/chilli leaves?!
        412% of statistics are made up.

Comment

• Why not soak half an onion in some water over night and then spray that water onto the plant?

Comment

• Try soaking garlic as its stronger.
            By the way, I wouldnt chop the leaves off as you will distroy your plant.
            You need to spray/wipe the underside of the leaves as thats where the aphids live.
            Let us know how you get on with the spray.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay22 View Post
              Compared to yours Deano, my chillis are tiny and here is me thinking I'm doing well!
              Tell ya what "Jay" Sat here "Kippered" Be glad to get em moved on!
              "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Last year I had all my overwintered plants outside (under glass) and planted up by mid April, in fine weather, but then there was that late cold snap with several days hard frost and a bit of snow too, and that put development back several weeks (and inflicted a fair amount of damage also). This year looks to be following a similar pattern, with the extraordinary temperatures seen in March and April now giving way to more seasonal weather (i.e. cool and wet, though not extreme cold thankfully). Not complaining about the rain, the garden certainly could use a good drenching after weeks of dry weather.
                So I played a bit safe and so far have just put out my Annuum chillies (three weeks ago now), and the Aji's. They're faster growing and would now be growing distorted if still indoors in the window (unpruned; these days I prefer not to top the plants). But also they're that bit more tolerant of a dip in temperature so I felt it was a worthwhile endeavour. It was tempting to move the Chinense ones to a permanent spot in the GH too when it was hot, but I'm glad I resisted. Now that the overnight temperature is back in single figures, I know that in the windowsill nursery they'll continue to develop at a steady rate and be in a strong position to go out later in the year. I have eight plants in a space that will accommodate double that at their current size so there is enough growing space for the short term at least.
                My espelette plants (x3) are just starting to flower.

Comment

• final pic of chillis in the conservatory, probably put them in a poly tunnel in a week or two

Comment

• Looking good Mav - mine are all still so tiny! So much for cayenne's being weeds!

Comment

• Yes indeed, they look great maverick, very uniform

What are the six on the left side of the right tray; the ones that appear to be flowering?

Comment

• Originally posted by Philthy View Post
                        Yes indeed, they look great maverick, very uniform

What are the six on the left side of the right tray; the ones that appear to be flowering?
                        They are the mini decorative chillis that I will grow in the conservatory

Loco and basket of fire

Comment

• Have taken the "Plunge" and moved half the chillies to the poly on the allotment!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2152 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	2372651

Got a couple potted on!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2150.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	2372652

I insulated the door, so they now have 2 choices!

"Come on Babies! Play with me, play with me!"
                          "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Chillies.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	2372710

Put my chillies outside to enjoy the natural heat and get some gentle breeze to help thicken them up, I got a bit behind this year and potted them on a bit later than I should have but they will be fine with some nice weather and a good feed in them

Comment

• Originally posted by Tripmeup View Post
                              have you been removing the flowers Mitzi?

What size bottles are they in now? If they are starting to outgrow their current home, I find they start to flower "too" early and sometimes benefir from having these "early" flowers nipped off...imo
                              I did remove some early flowers and top some plants which were trying to flower when I thought they were too small. That was a while ago, though. I sowed my chinenses in November and December and grew them on under lights, so my plants are now at the stage that February-sown plants will reach in July. They are currently in 2l bottles chopped in half, so that's like 1l pots, except that the roots grow down the wick into the water / nutrient solution below, so it's almost like a passive hydro system too.

What a difference a day makes...

SB MoA (supposedly) on Monday:

and yesterday:

It looks yellow in this photo but it's actually bright orange in real life. So it's orange, bumpy, no lobes to speak of, certainly not bonnet shaped. I'm not convinced it's proper MoA (Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture) stock. Should still taste good, though...

which is more than I can say for this one, which I'm probably not going to taste at all:

It's my first ripe Carolina Reaper pod.

Comment

• Does anyone else have no luck overwintering? The 1 sweet pepper has done nothing, it's just stalk, and the 5 chillies have one chilli and 1 flower between them!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X