No announcement yet.

All year Alliums Challenge 2016/17

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^ You can plant them but expect some /possibly all to rot off depending on soil and weather conditions or you can store them somewhere cool and dry, then check on them regularly to remove manky ones to plant out mar/apr time.

I don't think there is anyway to ensure min. loss when overwintering. Last year was my final stint of overwintering onions.

Comment

Hello all - three more on the challenge, great.

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post

allium candense (establishing, no idea what it is like)
      These look interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing how they come on for you - garlic chives and pickled onions on the same plant.

Originally posted by Elfeda View Post
      I am in, my goal is not having to buy many onions next year. and should be keen on using several other onion types.

NG, I have shallot Golden Gourmeet and red sun.. bought them long back is there anyway I can overwinter them with minimal loss!
      I'm working to the same goal - onions all year round without buying another set or sowing any seeds.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

[QUOTE=Jay-ell
        I'm working to the same goal - onions all year round without buying another set or sowing any seeds.[/QUOTE]

I buy onion sets, they are cheap if you are member of an allotment society, or you can let self seed and grow , and have ready -handy sets to overwinter planting...

any case, I crave for actual onion than to onion greens. as they are ready to use in store and not having to go in search for an ingradient into patch. it is a skill to pick up then use and not waste the spring onions and leek ..their kiths and kins...

the only way I can use the fresh ..greenyy...leafy...onions could be growing them in my front garden. that way alot easier to open the front door from kitchen than pick some spare freezer in other room

will see next year either I pick them if I plan to eat or freeze them with a sticky notes on them 'EAT ME' 'EAT ME'..otherwise I show off as if I grow them as a patch for bees and butterfly's

so far I have been growing spring onions and leek just to show off..please share how you peeps manage
        Last edited by Elfeda; 26-10-2016, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
          babbington leeks (kind potential donor found )
          If your donor falls through I have a few, and will have more next year.
          http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Elfida,

At the mo I grow from sets. I'm not too successful from seeds but I'm trying again this year. I'm looking at shallots and potato onions to give the bulbous onion bits - OK not massive onions but I'll see if they'll do. Just building up a seed stock at the moment.

I like spring onions - grew a lot of cheap sets last year as scallions I also like pickled onions and alot of the multiplying onions look as if they'll be usable for this.

This year is mostly about building up stocks so only light grazing.

I love leeks. No matter how many I plant I always wish I planted more. I'm experimenting with a couple of different perenial leeks to see about perennial patches - once these go to seed talk about showing off.

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
            ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

My view from the green house door video show the experiment I'm trying with my over wintering onions and now I have found some more bubble wrap I have included the Radar in the mix so, one tray open , one covered with bubble wrap and one with a propagator lid on three varieties which ones will germinate first?

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soZpGS4haIU
              sigpic
              . .......Man Vs Slug
              Click Here for my Diary and Blog
              Nutters Club Member

Comment

Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
                My view from the green house door video show the experiment I'm trying with my over wintering onions and now I have found some more bubble wrap I have included the Radar in the mix so, one tray open , one covered with bubble wrap and one with a propagator lid on three varieties which ones will germinate first?

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soZpGS4haIU
                Something has gone awry - those green onions look like tomatoes

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                  Something has gone awry - those green onions look like tomatoes
                  Doh! Thanks for the heads up, note added to the video. I meant to say Green Tomatoes, at the moment I have onions on my mind LOL
                  Last edited by Cadalot; 26-10-2016, 02:05 PM.
                  sigpic
                  . .......Man Vs Slug
                  Nutters Club Member

Comment

Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
                    Doh! Thanks for the heads up, note added to the video. I meant to say Green Tomatoes, at the moment I have onions on my mind LOL
                    Just for you, Cad
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bpS-cOBK6Q
                    Last edited by veggiechicken; 26-10-2016, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Walking Onions

See my blog post at Alans Allotment: Top, Topset, Top Setting, Air, Tree or Egyptian Walking Onions

As a thank you for my blog post about him, Ian has informed me that If you let him know that you found him via me and Quote "Cadalot" and you order direct and he will send you 20% more onions than you ordered.
                      Last edited by Cadalot; 01-11-2016, 09:00 PM.
                      sigpic
                      . .......Man Vs Slug
                      Nutters Club Member

Comment

Perennial leeks you say... might have to look into that - I had some fairly decent giant bulgarian leeks this year - left a couple to go to seed - didn't collect seed before going away to work for a couple of weeks 'up country' - come back and no seeds left to collect and sow - meh
                        Organised ain't m middle name- if I can have perennial versions of (more or less) everything I might have a bit more success (probably not, but I try to be optimistic)
                        sigpic
                        1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Baldy, the perennial leeks I'm trying this year are Babington Leeks, Elephant Garlic (as a leek), Oerprei (from the Low Countries), Vine Leek (from France) and Sand Leek. Also planning on sowing Allium Nutans in the spring which is used as a perrenial leek/spring onion in Russia.

Not grown any of them before but they look interesting

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I'm sure I posted here more recently - guess not (must have forgot to click post)

Been getting leeks (sent my minion to do the harvesting) and three cornered leek leaves - handy having a tub of these outside the back door over winter when the chives have all died down.

My green house full of alliums is still going - full of leeks, chives and welsh onions
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Greenhouse Alliums.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	2371300

I've got Elephant Garlic popping up here and there (some from cloves, some from the little corms)

Name:	Elephant Bucket.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	2371301

And alot of my other alliums are coming on, here's a couple of my babington leeks

Name:	Babington Leeks.jpg
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	2371302

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

In the Autumn I planted out a row of Marco Garlic

Name:	Autumn Marco.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	2371303

I also planted a complete head of Maco to split up in spring - so I dug it up and replanted it

Name:	Head of Marco.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	2371306

Name:	Head of Marco roots.jpg
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	2371304

Name:	Head of Marco replanted.jpg
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	2371305

Now to find out what happened to te third bulb to plant out now.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Anyone else still doing this? Three monhs inbto the year and we've lost everyone.

My leeks are running low but the Three Cornered leeks are still going. The chives have started to poke through so they'll be ready for picking soon. There's also some garlic chives and several hundred leeklets in the greenhouse.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X