No announcement yet.

All year Alliums Challenge 2016/17

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jay-ell I don't think I have time to go and press the button every 15minutes with the cameras I have LOL
    sigpic
    . .......Man Vs Slug
    Click Here for my Diary and Blog
    Nutters Club Member

Comment

• Looked at the Catawissa Walking Onions today and some of the secondary clusters of mini bulbs are already sprouting so I have harvested the lot and will plant them in some vending machine cups and over winter like I did the original bulbs I purchased last year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-09-06 Catawissa Walking Onions 03.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	2374880

In addition to producing top-sets, the parent plant divides at the base producing an abundant supply of green scallions for salads, gazpacho and other soups or casseroles. When harvesting, always be sure to leave at least one onion in the ground so the plant will continue to multiply and keep you supplied with onions for a lifetime.

I pulled one onion station as they are still green and lush just to look and they have split and appear to have created another bulb but*they have a massive root system, not quite sure how I'm going to get them out and manage to leave the one in the ground at each station?

Name:	2017-09-06 Catawissa Walking Onions 01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	2374881
      Last edited by Cadalot; 06-09-2017, 03:44 PM.
      sigpic
      . .......Man Vs Slug
      Click Here for my Diary and Blog
      Nutters Club Member

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Today I cleared the leek bed of leeks that should have been picked in spring. Since then, they've bolted and suffered leek rust Most of the heads were cut off when they started to bolt but I left a few - 'cos they were pretty
        To my surprise, they've been splitting underground and look more like elephant garlic than leeks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75331[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75332[/ATTACH]

There are plenty more!!
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]75333[/ATTACH]

Ted's impressed................

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75334[/ATTACH]

The plan is to replant them all and see what happens next!!
        They were planted 1st Sept http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1552962

Update - 2 months later, its looking good!

Name:	DSCF9178.jpg
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	2375588

Name:	DSCF9179.jpg
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	2375589
        Last edited by veggiechicken; 06-11-2017, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• They look so healthy !!!

Do you ever think plants just say to themselves: "right - I'm sick of you trying to do what's right for me, leave me in peace and let me do my own thing for a change"
          .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

• Of course they do, Kelvin Nature doesn't fuss about planting in rows or weeding, feeding and fertilising. Just an annual mulch of autumn leaves. If a plant doesn't suit its surroundings it dies. If birds and insects need to eat them, they will - there'll be enough to go round.
            I try to work with nature as she knows best

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X