Jeanette carrots no roots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spamvindaloo View Post
    As silly as it sounds, Hull does seem to be protected by some sort of mystical weather shield.
    Cheers Spam - it's pi $$ing it down now.

I nearly had a bad accident slipping at the poolside with the flip-flops on.
    .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

My Nantes Frubund fastcrop sown outdoors in March are nowhere near ready yet. Carrots are slow developers, so give them plenty of time.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Well this is my pretty pathetic harvest after 4 months in soil. Even forked after sieving the compost. The rest are still about a mm thick thin, whispy things. The even sadder thing is these are the best I have ever grown. One even had a small slug hollowing it's way through as well as a thick, greyish caterpillar. How that got in there with enviromesh is a mystery.

Would I be ok sowing Autumn Kind in it's place ?
        Attached Files

Comment

You may be disappointed, Marb, but I'd be pleased if I grew those! No carrot fly either

Comment

Marb mines been in the ground since 27th March and are nowhere near as big as yours I'm feeling rather envious.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

What's a Carrot?
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I'd be happy with those too. It's not easy to grow carrots that look like the ones you see in the shops (bet loads get chucked or fed to animals on the grounds they don't look perfect). What you do get, though, is much better flavour.

Comment

This is the strange thing I can never understand. Same seeds, same square foot soil and yet quite a few have still not developed any root but good foliage. Same with spring oinions. A very few have developed thick stems while some are thin and whispy with no more growth than months ago. I can understand if in different soil, position, feed etc but not identical conditions.

Comment

It's survival of the fittest, Marb.
                    He-Pep!

Comment

Look good marb
                      Northern England.

Comment

Looking bad. Here are the crap results after months in the soil. Covered with enviromesh and fine, seived soil to prevent forking. They forked and holes in roots.

Again, after doing the right things I get the wrong results. that's me finished with carrots.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Marb67; 08-09-2016, 01:06 PM.

Comment

with spring weather about 2 months late , mine ,sown in march/april have loads of top growth but little below ground, so I will leave them til end of October to see if we get anything this year,, I love these heatwaves, I never knew heavy rain was so warm....

Comment

You had some good carrots previous to those Marb,maybe these weren't in the soil as long as the first lot of carrots?

Comment

Maybe not 'show' quality, but if we're growing things to eat - then they look OK to me.

Get them in whatever you are having for your dinner tonight - and let us know about the results in the 'happy thread'.
                              .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Your soil is too good for them- that's why they've forked.
                                Did you feed them a lot?
                                If so , what with?( do you know the NPK of the feed?)
                                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X