Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many Courgettes, Squashes and Cucumbers have you grown & picked :)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marketmore.

I have four Marketmore 76 cucumber plants growing outdoors.
    Picked my first two this evening.
    Attached Files

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      Picked 2 more courgettes = total so far 6
      That's a better way of doing it I've been editing my original post

Comment

Nothing picked yet - everything a bit late as had a mini digger where veg patch now is at easter & no greenhouse until end of April! However, have

9 courgette zephyr - lots of babies on them
        10 turks turbans
        7 (?) Sphaghetti squash
        1 outdoor cuc waucoma
        5 indoor cucs also waucoma

Soon my precious ones, soon....
        Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Courgettes: Four forced early plants in greenhouse (actually, I've booted two out, overcrowding issues): been cropping modest sized courgettes since late May. Also five outside, not cropped yet.

Pumpkins: Three in big pots in greenhouse. Setting questionable so far.

Butternut squash: One in a pot in greenhouse, hopefully joined by a second. (Can't get pumpkins and squash to crop outside up here -- so set and swell in the greenhouse and ripen outside.)

Cucumber: Tried (for the first time) to force some early cucumbers in the greenhouse. Two plants, managed to kill one (dropped it...), a single cucumber to date, but more coming. Got lots of plants for some later ones, going into final pots this weekend.

I'm content with progress, which is probably the main thing.
          Last edited by jacob; 21-06-2016, 02:33 PM.
          Garden Grower
          Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

Picked 2 courgettes today - my first of the year. V pleased as didn't grow any last year for the first time in ages. Would have put a picture up but I've eaten them
            Last edited by happyhumph; 27-06-2016, 10:35 PM. Reason: I wrote ant not any. have never knowingly grown ants (at least not on purpose!)
            Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Picked 2 more courgettes = total so far 6
              Three more courgettes : 3 + 6 = 9

Comment

Still none yet.

Got a load of female flowers growing, one opened the other day but there's no male flowers opened yet so it's starting to close this morning. So I'm still currently on zero in terms of how many I have picked.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoot View Post
                  Still none yet.

Got a load of female flowers growing, one opened the other day but there's no male flowers opened yet so it's starting to close this morning. So I'm still currently on zero in terms of how many I have picked.
                  It's unusual to have many females without males. It's usually the other way around.....

As this subject arises every year, I thought I would put up a pic for any newbies the difference between Male & Female flowers. Note the female has a bulbous bottom (no comments please) & the male is just on a stem.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by Bigmallly; 28-06-2016, 08:13 AM.
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I had 2 butternut squash out of about 8 sown but both were decimated by slugs.

Dozens of courgettes but most have again been destroyed.

4 marrows, 2 of which are now growing some marrows.

4 summer squash, 2 of which have squash growing.

1 burpless cucumber plant about to harvest the 3rd cucumber so quite pleased with that.

And some winter squash varieties most have died off, might have a couple of possibles left.

I didn't attempt pumpkins this year but I would like to have a go some time. Might try those instead of butternut squash next year.
                    LOVE growing food to eat in my little town back garden. Winter update: currently growing overwintering onions, carrots, lettuce, chard, salad leaves, kale, cabbage, radish, beetroot, garlic, broccoli raab, some herbs.

Comment

4 courgettes, 0 picked.
                      3 cucumbers, 0 picked.
                      4 winter squash, 0 picked.
                      He-Pep!

Comment

Well this has a female flower first bigmally with others as well that arent quite "out" yet.

Attached Files

Comment

There are some All-female varieties which don't need a pollinator. Do you know what yours is, Scoot?

Comment

All Green Bush from Mr Fothergills.

Courgette All Green Bush Seeds from Mr Fothergill's Seeds and Plants

Comment

Nothing picked yet.

Still not dead yet I have...
                              Summer squash; 2 yellow pattipan, 1 trieste white, 2 plain green bush, 1 golden burpee courgette.

winter squash; 2 trombocino (and a third that is never going to grow so heading for the compost) 2 Japanese black futsu, 1 hasta la pasta, 1 sweet dumpling, 1 honey bear, 1 butternut.

4 paris pickling Qs
                              1 Marketmore Q.

3 cucamelons.
                              http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

All but 3 of mine have still not been potted on.

The three that have are doing absolutely nothing - I'm trying to convince myself that they're just sending their little roots all the way down the raised bed. Cucumbers were my most successful thing last year - not so much this year!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X