No announcement yet.

Courgette Roulette

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alot of the ones waiting to go in are my spares/weaker plants incase of death of the originals. Using Cucurbita as a green mulch/ground cover on my new plot this year to swamp out the weeds whilst I finish work on the original plot and work on the new plot.

Anything not eaten or turned into courgette crisps (entire family is switched onto courgette crisps) or cake and not given away will help build up the compost.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Am a big fan of courgette crisps too.
      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Nervous newbie and couregettes.

Hi. This is my first post, I subscribe to GYO magazine and this is also my first year of seriously growing our own. I am loving it and have a good selection of things growing outside and in but recently getting a bit worried. I have two good courgettes plants that are starting to produce 'fruit' approx. 4 inches long and a good green colour with lots of yellow flowers but some of the leaves are yellowish. They are in containers in my Poly House so not sure if this could be due to over watering - I have but down on this recently. Any help?

Comment

Hello Looby, welcome to the vine!

What have you put down on this recently? (I think you may have missed out a word)

Courgettes are very hungry and thirsty plants so my first thought would be that they have consumed the nutrients in their pots and are crying out for more.
          However, your post suggests that you might have put some sort of feed down for them so I wonder, if you have, could it have been a little strong? Did you put it down before or after the leaves yellowed?

One final question....well, two actually! Is it only the first leaves that are yellowed and are the leaves mottled or completely yellow?
          http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I think they meant 'I have cut down on this recently' regarding the watering.

I had some leaves go yellow on my courgettes last year shortly after planting out, but all the new growth came up green and they sorted themselves out without me interfering.
            He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by happyhumph View Post
              Could you let them grow on a bit more, maybe in bigger pots, & see which ones start trailing more than the others? Then plant them on whatever frame you're using if planning on growing all the role together? Or plant them all out any which way & train up individual wigwams when the trailing habit starts to show. Can already see the difference in habit between my courgette zephyr which is quite bushy & the turks turban/spaghetti squash which spread out more.
              Great idea thank you
              ''I've left all my belongings on the side of the road and i'm hoping my mind can be free.'' --- Hanami - Bolesworth Blues

http://www.hanamimusic.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                Alot of the ones waiting to go in are my spares/weaker plants incase of death of the originals. Using Cucurbita as a green mulch/ground cover on my new plot this year to swamp out the weeds whilst I finish work on the original plot and work on the new plot.

Anything not eaten or turned into courgette crisps (entire family is switched onto courgette crisps) or cake and not given away will help build up the compost.
                Courgette crisps!! Now you're talking I've never made crisps but i would take a guess at low oven, olive oil, seasoning.... How do you do yours? thanks
                ''I've left all my belongings on the side of the road and i'm hoping my mind can be free.'' --- Hanami - Bolesworth Blues

Comment

Originally posted by Looby100 View Post
                  Hi. This is my first post, I subscribe to GYO magazine and this is also my first year of seriously growing our own. I am loving it and have a good selection of things growing outside and in but recently getting a bit worried. I have two good courgettes plants that are starting to produce 'fruit' approx. 4 inches long and a good green colour with lots of yellow flowers but some of the leaves are yellowish. They are in containers in my Poly House so not sure if this could be due to over watering - I have but down on this recently. Any help?
                  Hi Looby, I'm pretty new here too so welcome sorry I am more of an advice taker rather than giver as yet lol, but this site is great and everyone is very helpful and knowledgable, good luck and I hope you enjoy this site x

Comment

Broken arm - plant not human

One of the arms on one of my best two courgettes has broken under its own weight because I hadn't filled the pot enough , Doh! , should I cut it off or just leave it?

On another note, after reading this thread, someone mentioned leaving some to become marrows and I remembered Marrow rum. I've never made it but I read a post and a lady left a courgette to become an uber marrow, cut off the top and scooped out about a third I think, leaving a thick wall of flesh still so it was like a chunky vase, if that makes sense lol. Then she packed it with some sort of dark soft brown sugar, dark muscovado I imagine, replaced the top and put it in a pair of tights/stocking and then suspended it under a barstool, over a clean bucket. Then she covered it loosely with a thick black bin bag and left it in the shed for, if I remember correctly, 6 months..... Bish Bash Bosh....Marrow Rum.

I imagine someone here will have a more accurate recipe lol

Comment

Hope it helps Avidnewbee. Have to say marrow rum sounds a bit , erm, shall we say......interesting
                      Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Originally posted by AvidNewBee View Post
                        Courgette crisps!! Now you're talking I've never made crisps but i would take a guess at low oven, olive oil, seasoning.... How do you do yours? thanks
                        I use a dehydrator - slice them thinly (the thinner the better ), drizzle a LITTLE olive oil, pinch of salt possibly pepper, chilli flakes, or other seasoning of choice and then into the dehydrator until crisp. You could do them in a low oven.

The crisps don't last for long - my sister and niece seem to smell them from miles away and drop in to scoff the lot

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

My OH is worried we are going to have a glut , he isn't keen on courgette ..tough !
                          Told him about the crisps he will be able to have with courgette wine , he doesn't seem convinced
                          Northern England.

Comment

Originally posted by AvidNewBee View Post
                            One of the arms on one of my best two courgettes has broken under its own weight because I hadn't filled the pot enough , Doh! , should I cut it off or just leave it?

On another note, after reading this thread, someone mentioned leaving some to become marrows and I remembered Marrow rum. I've never made it but I read a post and a lady left a courgette to become an uber marrow, cut off the top and scooped out about a third I think, leaving a thick wall of flesh still so it was like a chunky vase, if that makes sense lol. Then she packed it with some sort of dark soft brown sugar, dark muscovado I imagine, replaced the top and put it in a pair of tights/stocking and then suspended it under a barstool, over a clean bucket. Then she covered it loosely with a thick black bin bag and left it in the shed for, if I remember correctly, 6 months..... Bish Bash Bosh....Marrow Rum.

I imagine someone here will have a more accurate recipe lol

Hmm Rum - is it too late to sow more plants?

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Oh now then...rum , I may sell him

....ah interest now , I may need more plants although I think mum will be overloaded , already 5 on one of hers.
                              I wonder if a thread re making booze on here..off to look
                              Last edited by Containergardener; 14-06-2016, 09:59 PM.
                              Northern England.

Comment

Now I've found the boozers section , he is interested in gardening
                                Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X