No announcement yet.

Elephant Garlic has bolted

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had some of the corms/bulblets planted n an onion bed hoping that they would grow. Well it appeared that one grew without me noticing, reached about 3 inches high, gave up frowing and threw up a flower. Rather than produce seeds the flower has grew little bulbets - is this normal for elephant garlic or did some other allium sneak into the bed? One of my other corms has grown into a more normal size and has a n unopened flower spike at 3 foot although that hasn't opened yet.

The bulblets have little thin leaves on them - should I break off the flowerhead and plant out the bulblets?

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Could it be a Babington leek? That's what mine do. I separate them and grow them on

Comment

My babington leeks have all been accounted for - although they haven’t put on a flower yet they're in a different bed on a different plot planted at a different time so I don't think I could have confused them. I know that elephant garlic is a relative of the babington.

I'm thinking that for some reason the garlic felt stressed which is why it didn't grow high, went straight to flower and then to the last resort of topsets (as if it had been shaved so couldn't produce seeds it would produce grass instead). Why it was stressed I don't now.

p.s. as the grass is now about 2-3 inches long should I pull it off and plant it?
        Last edited by Jay-ell; 06-08-2016, 08:56 PM.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X