Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Carrot Challenge - Grow carrots with me in 2016!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mine too Martin and same variety :

Comment

• My first bucket - sown 22nd Feb

Here's one I prepared earlier, last year some time! I'm resisting temptation to see how big/small they are, but may give in soon

Attached Files

Comment

• Oh eck I better get my skates on as I don't have any buckets ready yet!
        I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

• me neither - I think I've figured out how to get drainage holes in my buckets without waiting for OH to pull his finger out though so I'm getting closer!

Comment

• Originally posted by vixylix View Post
            me neither - I think I've figured out how to get drainage holes in my buckets without waiting for OH to pull his finger out though so I'm getting closer!
            Have you got a hand drill ?

If so, put a small/thin drill bit in it.
            Stack about 5 buckets together, turn upside down and place on a flat, solid surface - and then just drill the appropriate number of holes.
            Dead easy.
            .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

• Originally posted by KevinM67 View Post
              Have you got a hand drill ?

If so, put a small/thin drill bit in it.
              Stack about 5 buckets together, turn upside down and place on a flat, solid surface - and then just drill the appropriate number of holes.
              Dead easy.
              Exactly my plan Kevin!!

Comment

• you could also (if you have a gas hob) heat a screwdriver or skewer then it pushes through easily, although it does smell a bit so open the windows!

Comment

• 4th Bucket sown - Bolero F1 - in GH
                  Sow March - May. germination 15-20 days ..........We'll see

To date:-

22 Feb - Amsterdam 3 (Sprint). Tiny little seedlings emerging 9th March

29 Feb - Kormano F1

9 March - Cosmic Purple

15 March - Bolero F1
                  Last edited by veggiechicken; 15-03-2016, 03:28 PM.

Comment

• carrot challenge

My Flyaway carrots, sown on Feb. 25.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by bramble; 15-03-2016, 05:32 PM. Reason: wrong spelling

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Second bucket sown today
                      Rainbow mix

No sign of life from my first bucket yet. Autumn King 2. Sown 01-03

Comment

• The James Scarlet and Early Nantes sown by the scary grandaughter and I on Feb 15th are up. Mine are better, she's visiting at Easter - do I swop labels now or hope hers catch up

Comment

• Originally posted by Ger-annie-um View Post
                          The James Scarlet and Early Nantes sown by the scary grandaughter and I on Feb 15th are up. Mine are better, she's visiting at Easter - do I swop labels now or hope hers catch up
                          Nah, you tell her that you've won and she's lost.

They need to learn when young that there's winners and losers in life.
                          Get them expecting that life's unfair from the start - it means that they won't hit the depressing reality in adulthood that they've been lied to since birth, and the world is full of injustices.

Alternatively, if you have a heart - then swap the labels, it's what I would do.
                          .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

• Didn't sow any last week so did two buckets today;
                            Bucket 2 = Touchon (again)
                            Bucket 3 = Autumn King2 (last years seed sown quite thickly)

No sign yet of the touchon I sowed the other week.
                            Covered them with cling film today to keep them damp until germination.
                            http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

• The first batch having emerged, I sowed my second pot today. These are Nantes 5. Once they come through I'll sow my third batch direct into the allotment.
                              My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                              Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Not a sausage (or seedling!!!!....) to be seen from either of my two sowings in February ...
                                Should I cling film them now, or is it too late???
                                They're in unheated GH
                                Last edited by SusieG; 18-03-2016, 04:55 PM. Reason: Forgot to say
                                ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                                a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                                - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X