Saving seed from F1 varieties

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
    Cuttings should retain the parent properties as they are a vegetative propagation technique...........
    How did you manage to reply in so few words?

Comment

..............so F1 leeks or onions will throw up F1 grass or pips/pods but not seeds.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        There may be few of them, but they are very long ones!
        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          Waffle becomes an art form after a while!
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Cuttings stay true, if you can keep the plant alive til the next year. It certainly works for tomatoes and peppers.
            Many of us are keeping Crimson Crush tomato cuttings alive over winter, to grow this summer - as the seeds are quite expensive.

Comment

Out of interest is there any degradation with cuttings over successive years?

For example, lets just assume %100 success rate in keeping the cutting alive each winter, if you took a cutting from a plant last year then grow it on, then later this year take a cutting of that to grow on next year and so on and so on. In say 10 years would you still have a viable plant or would the quality have suffered and progressively degraded?

Comment

That depends on how successful the cuttings are, if they root well they'll be strong - if not you end up with a plant that is weaker. If the cuttings root perfectly then there's no reason for any deterioration.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  Cuttings should retain the parent properties as they are a vegetative propagation technique...........
                  Very true...that question came up in my sons GCSE biology exam! He came out very thankful that him Mum fills the windowsils with cuttings

Comment

Originally posted by Ryleh View Post
                    A very interesting read Penellype, it answered a couple of questions I had regarding off spring of F1 plants.

Presumably even if you get lucky after the first year and get offspring identical to the F1 the chances of then doing the same again year after year become exponentially slim.
                    The chances are extremely slim in the first place, but if you did manage to get something identical to the F1 parents, your chances of doing the same again would be the same as before. This is something that is not easily understood - if you have a 1 in 2 chance of getting heads from a coin toss, your chances of getting heads remains 1 in 2 even if you have just thrown 10 tails in a row. The probability is reset for every throw.
                    Last edited by Penellype; 05-02-2016, 09:03 PM.
                    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I think plants grown from cuttings year on year will suffer and plant vigour will degenerate over a period of time (years)
                      They could pick up virus from aphids and suchlike. I know that the reason seed tatties (which are another solanum, and related to the tomato) are grown in Scotland and considered to be virus free is because there are less aphids there.
                      Having said all that there were a couple of tomato varieties which have been grown from cuttings for a good few years on my allotment site.

Going back to leeks, I know that leek reversion can occur and every now and again the leek growers have to repopulate there stock from seed rather than bulbils.

As another experiment I have leeks growing from 'grass' but also leek seedlings grown from seed harvested from the same leek head. It will be interesting for me to see the difference!

Waffle over for now!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

If you have loads of space and loads of time (and possibly loads of money), you could sow loads of F2 seeds (saved from F1 plants) and you might get 1 plant which produces a wonderful end product. If you then save every seed from the F2 and plant the F3 seeds, you may get the same (or even better). Repeat the process until the seed stabilises. It's not that it can't be done, it's just that you might grow ten thousand plants and produce nothing but rubbish. Much easier just to buy a packet of seeds (even if they are expensive F1 seeds), at least you'll know what you're getting.
                        Posted on an iPad so apologies for any randomly auto-corrected gobbledegook

Comment

Hmm... Makes you wonder about F1 seeds. Bred so we have to buy new every year and can't seed save. Some of them aren't as brilliant as they make out either also, they should put on the packets that you shouldn't bother saving the seeds as not everyone will know this. It's only because I read a thread on here a few years ago that I know not to save F1's
                          Anyway I've thousands of seeds to sow this year, I really should make a start...
                          You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X