No announcement yet.

Sweet Peppers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought 4 from lidl a few weeks ago labelled pepper red & pepper orange. Seem to be growing happily so will see how they do....
    Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
      I grow the snack pepper snackbite orange on my landing windowsill in 2 litre pots. The plants are quite compact and the peppers are small, pointy and have a lovely flavour. I'm going to try snackbite red and snackbite yellow this year too.
      I'm growing 3 of the mix
      Pepper Seeds - Snackbite (Mini Pepper) - Pepper Seeds - Vegetable Seeds - Vegetables - Garden - Dobies of Devon
      I'll be lucky to get one of each colour though lol

Comment

Out of my 3 Snackbite peppers, I managed to get one that ripens to red and one to yellow

The cat knocked the other plant off the bench, so who knows!

Comment

..........oooh, they look lovely Thelma, lucky you!

Mine are still non-existent - really tall lush green plants ~ no fruit .............
          ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
          a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
          - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

These only make about 15ins tall, I will deffo grow more of them next year - seem to be less demanding than the full size ones.

Comment

I'll probably pick a smaller growing variety like Snackbite, for next year ...... mine are quickly running out of time to flower/fruit now ........
              ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
              a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
              - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

I've grown Topepo Rosso, California Wonder and Yellow Bell sweet peppers in the greenhouse this year. All doing ok and a reasonable size, but none fully ripe yet.

Have also grown Pointed Red Palermo and Orange Bell in previous years. They both fully ripened late in the season, so expecting similar late ripening results this year.

Some chilli varieties are fairly large, almost as sweet and mild as a sweet pepper but might produce fruit and ripen earlier. I've got a Numex Sandia that is large enough and mild enough to eat like a sweet pepper. Also my Santa Fe Grande has a sweet mild taste and firm, thick flesh, so could be grown as an alternative to 'Snackbite' type peppers.

Comment

I'm giving up on the big peppers next year, mine are big but green ,i don't like them green.
                  so might try Santa Fe Grande next year.

Comment

Originally posted by maverick451 View Post
                    Im also going to try the new midas variety from suttons which is a cross between a sweet pepper and a habernero.
                    How are the Midas doing, and what do you think of the taste?

I nearly bought some last year, as they're a very interesting variety. I doubt they're a cross with a Habanero, far more likely to be something like a Jalapeno.

Midas was developed by Gourmet Genetics, which I've also mentioned on tomato threads.
                    Gourmet Genetics - chilli 'Midas'

I think you could save seeds from it, as it's likely to be a cross that has been stabilised over several generations, and not an F1

Comment

Sorry to invade your thread.
                      My sweet pepper plant I sowed in July and the last 6 weeks it's been in the conservatory.
                      It looks healthy but I am worried it's getting lanky and don't think it's doing anything😦
                      I have attached a picture do you think I should move it to a bigger pot which is the pot beside it?
                      Attached Files

Comment

July's very late for sowing peppers,the plants wanting longer days of sunshine during this stage of development,it's young & wants to continue growth,size will be affected as there's less sunlight now. At this time of year plants sowed in February/March know it's the end of the growing season because of the light levels,difficult growing them out of season & overwintering,have you got some grow lights? If not,I wouldn't pot it on,it needs to go to sleep for the winter now. If you've got grow lights,I was reading a study & best results were 20 hours of light a day,there's no way they can get that much light by a window to carry on with normal growth so they get leggy searching for light.

Comment

In Bulgaria I planted mine this year in mid January they germinated next to the wood burning stove and then on the window ledge in the day...they grew fine till and the dog ate them!
                          So, about the start of March i bought 20...pepper plants for 50p on th locall market, no idea on type just thin plants that produced 5 inch long red pointy sweet peppers, growing in the baked like rock dry rubbish soil they went and even though they wilt every day with the heat and lack of rain for the last 6 months they still seem to have grown fine and I got quite a lot this year off each plant 15 plants survived the dogs sitting on them and eating them now they just pick the peppers to eat , they are still ripening another smaller crop on them now
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by starloc; 05-10-2016, 11:19 AM.
                          Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

Thank you jungle jane.

I Don't have grow lights thinking in investing some or put them on my birthday or Christmas list!
                            I have been putting the plant outside most sunny afternoons for about 2 hours but very windy by south coast so some days didn't last that long.

When I overwinter it do I still feed it water and how much plus do I get rid of the nice leaves. Sorry for all the questions

Comment

I've never overwintered one but hopefully someone who has will see your post! I think it would be quite similar to overwintering a chilli pepper,there's probably a thread on here somewhere?

Comment

I wouldn't pot them up until Spring, and then only up one size.
                                For now, just put them on a sunny window ledge and water just enough to keep them alive. In Spring start putting a little liquid feed in their water. Sometimes they live through til next year, sometimes they don't.
                                You've nothing to lose by trying

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X