X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Martin H View Post
    Watercress "Aqua"
    I'm really keen to know what the growing technique is for this.

I love watercress - however, when I looked up how to grow the stuff many years ago, there was stuff like 'running water', etc.
    .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

• Originally posted by KevinM67 View Post
      I'm really keen to know what the growing technique is for this.
      Me too.

I'm going to try the watercress in three places:
      - that patch at the bottom of my allotment that never really dries out properly
      - in a pot on the capillary matting in the greenhouse
      - by my little pond where the water recirculates.

Maybe one of them will produce something edible. If not, well it was a free packet of seed that came with a magazine and it will have been an interesting experiment.
      Last edited by Martin H; 07-03-2016, 09:51 AM.
      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Sowed a pot of Musselburgh leeks today. The seeds are out of date, so we'll see what happens.
        He-Pep!

Comment

Me too.

Maybe one of them will produce something edible. If not, well it was a free packet of seed that came with a magazine and it will have been an interesting experiment.
          Your watercress should really like it in all of those spots. I grow in a big old stone sink ( with the plug out). I think my mistake was I sowed the seeds too thickly. It all grew but none of the plants got very big. I'm going to be ruthless this year and thin them out a lot. It said on the packet it doesn't need running water. I'm fairly sure my variety is Aqua as well.

Comment

• I grew sme Aqua 2 years ago in a couple of washing up bowls - they grew really well as long as I kept it in the shade (it bolts easily) and watered it every day so that it was always wet.
            I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

• 2x Black Cherry,1xPaul Robeson, 2xDWS, 2xBlack Pear, 1x Golden Queen
              2x Violet Jasper, 2xGoldkrone, 2xRed Horn, 2xFox Cherry
              1xSandpoint, 1xPink Caspian, 2xmatina, 2x Kenworth King George, 2xStonars Most prolific

Comment

• My propagator's full Can't sow toms yet.
                Am hovering near it, in case that helps the seeds germinate more quickly...
                http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

• Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
                  My propagator's full Can't sow toms yet.
                  Am hovering near it, in case that helps the seeds germinate more quickly...
                  I often think that when i hover around my seedlings.

Comment

• I sowed parsnips, carrots, radish and beetroot outside. Hopefully the frost this morning hasn't killed everything off completely. I also sowed more lettuce, kale and chard inside and loads more herbs in the hope of having enough to keep up with demand this year

Comment

• PSB and celery
                      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Yesterday

Tomatoes - Sun Gold F1, Sweet Million F1 and Tumbling Red/Yellow

I got some seed orders through the post today, and plan to sow more Tomatoes (Sub Arctic Plenty, Garden Pearl, Mountain Magic F1) I'm saving seeds to sow later this month/next too.

I haven't had much luck with tomatoes in the past and live in a northern, windy spot and found to my cost last year that my new garden was not sheltered, it's a wind tunnel and lost a blow-away greenhouse. So I'm trying a few different things - mainly cherry types to give them time to mature and ripen, also cooler tolerant variety and a blight resistant one. I'm going to grow them on the kitchen window sill, in growbags against a south facing wall at home (perhaps with a growhouse cover or similar protection if I can sort something) and perhaps with some protection down at the allotment. Even if I only manage to get a single pot of a cherry type surviving on a windowsill I'm determined to get something!

I've also got Sweet Pepper (King of the North) to sow as well.

Comment

Me too.

I grew it in a plastic water cistern thingy, no drainage holes but one at the side for an overflow. Kept it under the guttering on the GH so that the rain would flood it. Apparently , it needs to be kept moist at all times but running water isn't necessary.
                          Caveat - I grew it from supermarket watercress, not from seed.

Comment

• Today I sowed most of my tomato seeds,some are under the fish tank light & some are on the windowsill.

Comment

• Sowed my Marketmore 76 Cucumbers today.

And when your back stops aching,
                              And your hands begin to harden.
                              You will find yourself a partner,
                              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Seed order just arrived so I decided to live dangerously and sowed rainbow radishes, Paris market carrots, leeks, bunching onions, oregano and honesty.

Still holding off sowing brassicas because I don't think it's going to be cool enough to plant them out next month.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X