No announcement yet.

True Potato Seed Challenge/ Experiment/ Thing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well this year has not been the best to do this experiment for me, but will def. have another bash next year.

My last survivor of the duck attack, only to succumb to blight

My Skagit Magic is going well and is due to flower.

Attached Files

Comment

Apologies NG... I should have read back all of two posts

Comment

Oh well. Next year it is. My Skagit Magic also got blight and when lifted had nothing on it. Fingers crossed for more consistent weather next year and more than 2 farty punnets worth from my entire potato harvest. It is so bad you have to laugh

Comment

oh no!! I'm glad you can see the funny side at least!

Comment

I was involved in Duronals original experiment and vowed 'never again'................until now
            I have been given a packet of Russian true potato seed and will give it a go again early next year. I think the Ruskys know there spuds so hopefully it will work out better for me this time.
            Sorry for your loss NG. Blight is such a terrible thing. It might be worth trying to get some TPS from a blight resistant variety. These would have been normal varieties originally, but through persistance with TPS growing, the spuds with blight resitance would have been grown on to give us the Sarpo varieties of today.
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
              Oh well. Next year it is. My Skagit Magic also got blight and when lifted had nothing on it. Fingers crossed for more consistent weather next year and more than 2 farty punnets worth from my entire potato harvest. It is so bad you have to laugh
              Sorry you had disappointing results growing tps this year, it's a shame as they are fun to grow and exciting come harvest time. Skagit Magic although stunning when flowering have variable Late Blight resistance, varying from plant to plant. They can also be a late cropper, with plants growing on well into autumn, also tubers can be more spread out in the ground and be some distance from the mother plant. Taste generally is very good and they store well.

Good on you for not being put off, tps growing really can be very rewarding, I love them
              Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                I was involved in Duronals original experiment and vowed 'never again'................until now
                I have been given a packet of Russian true potato seed and will give it a go again early next year. I think the Ruskys know there spuds so hopefully it will work out better for me this time.
                Sorry for your loss NG. Blight is such a terrible thing. It might be worth trying to get some TPS from a blight resistant variety. These would have been normal varieties originally, but through persistance with TPS growing, the spuds with blight resitance would have been grown on to give us the Sarpo varieties of today.
                Shame your first experiment didn't go so well, great you are having another go, they can be awesome. I've some commercial packets of Russian tps too, though I've never grown any. I believe they give good quite uniform results, also I read somewhere a while back that the plants are unlikely to set seed pods themselves. Someone I know from another forum had good results growing Russian potatoes from tps although I don't think they were overwhelmed by their taste.

Can you remember the variety of tps you tried in your experiment originally?
                Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Originally posted by poly View Post
                  Shame your first experiment didn't go so well, great you are having another go, they can be awesome. I've some commercial packets of Russian tps too, though I've never grown any. I believe they give good quite uniform results, also I read somewhere a while back that the plants are unlikely to set seed pods themselves. Someone I know from another forum had good results growing Russian potatoes from tps although I don't think they were overwhelmed by their taste.

Can you remember the variety of tps you tried in your experiment originally?
                  Desiree first time, unpronouncable this year.
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Lol, how did the unpronounceable do?
                    Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Originally posted by poly View Post
                      Lol, how did the unpronounceable do?
                      I sowed the whole packet. Quite a few germinated then damped off. Out of a module tray of twelve I have ONE plant which seems to be thriving. It will be nice to see what it eventually turns out like. I will transplant it soon.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Fab, hope it grows a smashing crop, look forward to harvest report
                        Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X