No announcement yet.

True Potato Seed Challenge/ Experiment/ Thing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have TPS blast off and the winner was............................fortyfold. The first one appeared last night, but has since been joined by another fortyfold and a golden wonder.

Comment

Yaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy!!!

Comment

Skagit Magic up and running here too. My first year with exotic tps, around a dozen varieties. I've got buckets of Peruanita and Colegiala tps, also some others which may be mixed up, happy to send out for the price of postage.

Comment

I have resown my skagit magic and venessa as they haven't done anything

Comment

I might be able to spare you a dozen or so TPS of Skagit Magic that I was given by another spud friend. Mine have come up very well. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they perform. I'm not really supposed to exchange on here as I'm too new, but I don't know where else you would get these seeds from.

Comment

^^^TY for the offer but I am fine for this year. Also I don't tend to have major issues with blight (touch wood) so it is purely a TPS thing for me rather than a variety thing

Comment

This has caught my attention and I am going to give it a go

On a slightly different note, has anyone tried starting a seed potato in a tub then transplanting it into the ground?
                When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
                If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

Just a few pics to keep you updated. I did have them on the windowsill but they looked quite weedy so potted them on deeper and put in the gh and blowaway (space depending) and they look a lot better for it.

The ones below have been nibbled at in the blowaway

Some of the plants are suckering

They are all either Fortyfold or Golden Wonder. Out of the other sowings I have 1 Skagit Magic

Attached Files
                  Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 13-05-2016, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Thankfully it has only been a month, thought it was longer than that. Due to my lovely ducks I put potting on to one side as they weren't content with eating everything else so please excuse the tattiness of some of the plants.

This is what I have salvaged from my ducks and not quite sure which is which. Fortyfold or golden wonder.

My one and only skagit magic is now coming on

Here they all are. Repotted and in my newly created potato patch. (It was meant for globe artichokes but the ducks have eaten those aswell )

I have saved the best pic for last. Look..............I have teeny weeny tatties I have 2 more with the start of tatties but not as big as this
                    Attached Files

Comment

Have followed your thread NG with some interest. This is the OH fault and not VC's this time .
                      I have flowers on my second earlies they are called Carlingford. I'm hoping that they will produce the potato seeds this year. My first earlies haven't produced any flowers at all.

Have posted pics of them to see what everyone thinks.

If they do produce and seed pods when's the best time to pick and store them?

Thanks

Can someone sort my pics out please. Have cropped them but they still look wrong. Thanks
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by noviceveggrower; 26-06-2016, 10:41 AM. Reason: Asking for pic help cause i an useless.
                      sigpic

Comment

The idea is to leave them as long as possible (although they may drop of) apparently they will continue to ripen of the plant and the pods will eventually go squishy so you can then wash, dry and store.

Unfortunately the ones I did last year didn't germinate so I am probably not the best one to give advice

Comment

ah NVG - I was going to ask the same question!

Comment

Originally posted by noviceveggrower View Post
                            I have flowers on my second earlies they are called Carlingford. I'm hoping that they will produce the potato seeds this year. My first earlies haven't produced any flowers at all.

If they do produce and seed pods when's the best time to pick and store them?
                            Carlingford aren't generally big setters of potato berries (I've never had any luck with them, although not grown them the last few years) but hopefully you will be lucky and get seeds. Some varieties are better than others at setting berries and I think local conditions at flowering time make a difference.

If you do see berries forming, it is roughly a minimum of six weeks until they can be successfully harvested, but even then it really is best to keep the berries stored until they ripen some more before processing seed. Some varieties have stronger germination inhibitors which can prevent fresh seed from starting into growth and do best from very ripe berries. I agree with Norfolkgrey, it is best to leave berries on the plants as long as possible and collect them just before they fall. But if Late Blight threatens.....
                            Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

NG / anyone else... my desirees are covered in green berries - when can I harvest them - do they turn ripe? Also do I ferment them once harvested? Thanks

Comment

Leave them as long as possible. They will go soft when then ripen. It is best to ferment them, as Poly says they have growth inhibitors.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X