No announcement yet.

September Jobs on the Plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait breathlessly for two weeks after finding blight when removing the haulms from the tatties. Sighs. Then harvest and cook/store.

Nurture the squashes, pick the beans. Sow green manure.....

Other stuff as it occurs to me.

Comment

All my beds are still full. Still got sweetcorn to pick, Leeks, Peas and Pumpkin till going strong, as well as Kale, Beetroots , Dwarf French and Runner Beans.
      I filled my Onion beds with various salad produce, so still harvesting Radishes, Spring Onions and assorted Lettuces from there and planted my Garlic bed with Fenella Strawberry plants about 6 weeks ago, which are absolutely full of Strawberries.
      I've got room for another couple of raised beds, which I'm hoping to get built when it finally stops raining (in about March by the looks of things).
      What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
      Pumpkin pi.

Comment

September is harvest/relax month,nothing strenuous going on at all. Yesterday picked some late sowed peas. Picking tomatoes everyday,just as they're turning colour & they fully ripen in the kitchen,quite a few green ones still. My late sowing of runner beans have reached the tops of the poles & in flower. Carrots need pulling up,apples need picking. Cucumbers still producing. Young rocket,spring onions,a couple of potato bags,sweet peppers ready nearly. Sweet corns are all in the freezer now,i've cut the plants down a lot but haven't cleared or weeded it yet (relax month).

Comment

1. Get wet - if it carries on like this
          2. Use a Jedi mind trick on the tomatoes so they go red (go red, go red....)
          3. Get sick of French beans
          4. Pick out next years French beans
          5. Plant out kale (x3 varieties), Durham Earlies, Swedes (too late)

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
            My fruit cage is having a revamp. The strawberries are coming out and i am going to replant with gooseberries. I do like to have a good tidy up before the winter, but also relish the opportunity to take things at a slower pace after the urgency of spring and summer. I also have green manures to sow and the manure delivery will be here before too long. I want to get some onions in soon too.
            I have put in the brassicas were the pots were. Planted up the leeks were the onions where. Sowed some more DFB which have sprouted overnight it seems. Still waiting to harvest sweet corn runner beans still going,

I wondered which green manures you sow? Hove bought some phacielia seeds. Don't know if I have left it too late to sow though.
            Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Next week youngest will be back at school so work begins in earnest.

greenhouse still full of toms which are turning red and chillis...and caterpillars. Needs a really good clear out.

Harvest spuds and replace with autumn onion sets and garlic.
              Plant out kales, broc and cabbages.
              Clear one bed for peas de provence and broad beans in November.
              Harvest or bin sweetcorn
              cover everything else with foot deep layer of manure.

Got a few major projects for winter once these chores are done.
              I much prefer autumn/winter gardening...cool and smelling of woodsmoke
              http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Chippy Minton View Post
                1. Get wet - if it carries on like this
                2. Use a Jedi mind trick on the tomatoes so they go red (go red, go red....)
                Use the right procedure. Crossed legged in the greenhouse then repeat

"Go red you will"

Attached Files
                photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Following complications from my accident I missed all of the 2015 growing season apart from the raised beds in the polytunnels which allowed be to have some crops.I have been back in action since early August and this September will see me trying to wrestle back my garden from mother nature and also get in some winter greens in the tunnels.

Comment

Originally posted by Bal View Post
                    I have put in the brassicas were the pots were. Planted up the leeks were the onions where. Sowed some more DFB which have sprouted overnight it seems. Still waiting to harvest sweet corn runner beans still going,
                    Stupid alert and I apologize in advance but what's DFB? It's really bugging me
                    Last edited by Greenleaves; 03-09-2015, 01:29 PM. Reason: fixed quote
                    Bex

Comment

Originally posted by Bal View Post
                      I have put in the brassicas were the pots were. Planted up the leeks were the onions where. Sowed some more DFB which have sprouted overnight it seems. Still waiting to harvest sweet corn runner beans still going, QUOTE]

Dwarf French Beans
                      Last edited by Greenleaves; 03-09-2015, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Lol of course it is. I discounted that as I thought it was way too late in the year. Thought it might be something weird and wonderful I'd not heard of.
                        Bex

Comment

Originally posted by Bex View Post
                          Lol of course it is. I discounted that as I thought it was way too late in the year. Thought it might be something weird and wonderful I'd not heard of.
                          I'm really hoping for a wonderful warm sunny September. (I still believe in the tooth fairy too)
                          Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Well, I can cross another one off my September list.....................Today I built & filled a 7ft x 5ft x 2ft raised bed. Will leave it settle over winter ready for the Parsnip glut next year.
                            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                            -----------------------------------------------------------
                            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bex View Post
                              When you're puzzled, don't feel stupid, have a look at http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ses_86211.html

Comment

Thanks VC

Hmmm jobs for September, well I'm moving plot so I've got to:

Move apple tree
                                move asparagus
                                dig, dig, dig
                                plant out cabbage and broccoli plugs that I bought last week
                                plan allotment (which you lovely guys might have to help me with)
                                Take cuttings from currants
                                move some raspberries
                                more digging
                                harvest last of beans/courgettes from mine and my dads as he's on holiday
                                dig up remaining potatoes

Oh gosh this list is endless and I've got to go on holiday for a fortnight in Corfu, my September might stretch into October
                                Bex

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X