Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the allotment has taught me this year.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never for one minute think once the seed tatties are in they don't need water and your TLC! Leaving it to nature is a "No! No!"

Never try to "Cheat" Mother nature! As "Pot's" said! She's a little wiser, and as been about alot longer than you and I.

Oh! and never plant a "Butternut Squash" in a tub in a poly thinking ya gunna cheat mother nature, back to point 2.

Coz it's "Untidy" It's leaves die at a shake of an hat! n takes up that much room! And I try not to do "Mess"

But it bears a few fruits!

so I'll "Grin n Bear" This year!
    Attached Files
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

That the full-size (badly neglected) allotment that I took on last year with the expectation it would be 10 years max before it was perfect is beginning to very much look like a 20 year project!

That spending months tarting up an old shed (with plylining, painting it, glossing skirting boards etc, varnishing the floor etc) has created a problem not solved one as I now fret about keeping it spotlessly clean! Hence new project for September is to build a tool store/bench to live outside....

Comment

Originally posted by ldsau93 View Post
        That the full-size (badly neglected) allotment that I took on last year with the expectation it would be 10 years max before it was perfect is beginning to very much look like a 20 year project!

That spending months tarting up an old shed (with plylining, painting it, glossing skirting boards etc, varnishing the floor etc) has created a problem not solved one as I now fret about keeping it spotlessly clean! Hence new project for September is to build a tool store/bench to live outside....
        I have always known my allotments would never be perfect. I concentrate on planting, weeding and picking. my husband tries to sidetrack me with other projects but my answer is if I don't concentrate on the actual plants there will be no crops.

Comment

What I have learned - Part 2

Not to put your winter cabbages next door to a flowering buddleia.

It looks a bit like Magaluf on a Saturday night.......an all you can eat buffee.......lots of air dancing with a 'maybe' partner.......then off to the Savoy's for a bit of rumpy pumpy........coo over the eggs.....then get the urge to go back to the buddleia to start again!
          I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Not to have (to much) garden/plot envy - I just need to enjoy what I have and grow what I can no matter how small and weirdly shaped the crop!

Love my garden!!

Comment

To protect peas and lettuce from birds - yet more netting.

To sit and enjoy everything - not I will just do this little thing then two hours later I have done everything but.

Stop trying to grow the entire VSP - the veg patch is meant to be just that, not that plus the back garden, front garden, paddock, conservatory

Grow as many courgette plants as pos. just pick small - I can't remember them being that yum. I haven't even bothered with glut recipes yet

To sit and enjoy everything - I know I have already said it but I really should.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy View Post

That you can't buy frog or toad spawn so next year I will have to go pond dipping for it.
                Please don't move frog or toad spawn between ponds- unfortunately there are several deadly diseases spreading at the moment through UK amphibian populations, and moving spawn can help spread it to new areas.

I mean, if it's right next door, or within hopping distance, you're probably fine, but they'll generally find suitable ponds pretty quickly anyway.

What I've learned from my allotment this year is that the soil really is too thin and poor right now- the beds I raised and made deeper (just a few inches deeper!) are dramatically more productive.

Time to get a proper plan, and probably a winter manure delivery.
                My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

The main thing I have learned is " Don't build up your hopes - You are not Monty Don".............I don't build them up but thought I would say anyway................
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Ta for the advice Hamamelis
                    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Buy plants from aldi..(chilli plants did very well)

grow as many courgetts (freshly picked just tasted like an asian veg I buy regularly)

start seeds one after another, to have enough time to care the sprouted ones.

never ever tie bush tomato plants (hardly any got ripen)

space enough for tomatoes

try planting through weed membrane ( not sure how easily calculate the space on membrane for onions)

never try growing with cardboard and compost mulch for onions and strawberries and leafy veg

plant potatoes atleast on half dug.

plant 3 or 4 swischard

plant suflowers row away from french beans

grow as many small pumpkins and few squash

care better for cucumbers

water the plants on regular basis

this list never ends ........

stop growing peas or use bird's net

Comment

I have learnt;

- i do not have to plant every single seed in the packet and end up with a field of courgettes from all 10 seeds that germinated.

- I don't like courgettes anymore.

- I do not like cucamelons (skins too tough)

- Only grow things that I like

- How to grow big onions

- Value the advice of my allotment neighbours

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                          The main thing I have learned is " Don't build up your hopes - You are not Monty Don".............I don't build them up but thought I would say anyway................
                          That I can grow better looking chrysanthemums than Monty Don and there was something else but I have forgotten. So yes, I have learnt to be smug

Comment

Checking for caterpillars on my tomatoes most days makes me go boz eyed.

Comment

I hate allotment waiting lists
                              But the same waiting list brought me here so it cant be all that bad
                              Last edited by jackarmy; 26-08-2015, 01:57 PM.

Comment

I've learnt:

Just do a bit at a time.

You can never plant too many onions

When growing sweetcorn in the polytunnel to choose a variety that doesn't grow 8ft tall

That I can actually grow melons

To just enjoy the moment
                                What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                                Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X