This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as everyones happy then lets leave that post be, hehe

Has anyone grown any Maskotka toms this year?

Out of the varieties I grew they were the first to ripen and I found the taste to vary from tom to tom. Some were what I'd describe as very bland but the majority I'd say were very flavoursome.

My plan is to grow them again next year, probably in hanging baskets, but this was my first year with them and I got a handful of seeds by chance from a fellow allotmenteer so I didnt grow with any pre-formed expectations.

I'm sure there are better hanging basket options I should be considering.

Comment

I didn't like Maskotka when I grew them last year. They did very badly, though then I could only grow them outside. I prefer 100s&1000s, which are tiny and bursting with flavour.
      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
        I didn't like Maskotka when I grew them last year. They did very badly, though then I could only grow them outside. I prefer 100s&1000s, which are tiny and bursting with flavour.
        How did your 100's and 1000's get on this year? mine were amazing last year, best ive ever tasted tomato wise but this year they were not as good.

Comment

I have grown Maskotka for last 2 years and they were super early last year but late this year

Didn't find them to be anything special, so will prob give them a miss next year...
          I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maverick451 View Post
            How did your 100's and 1000's get on this year? mine were amazing last year, best ive ever tasted tomato wise but this year they were not as good.
            I really neglected them. Not as many as last year, but this time they have nearly all ripened at once so I have nearly 2 litres of tiny toms from one plant. They still tasted fantastic though.

Comment

Sounds worth a go. I'll keep my eye out for some seeds.

Comment

In spite of all the comparasions we make about growth, ripening time and flavour of our tomatoes I am sure the soil type and the weather being a wet or dry season will always have a bearing on the flavour.
                I suppose we can only generalise.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I'm also intrigued by
                  Dancing with Smurfs
                  And I see there's a couple of impressive pictures of the variety in this year's VVS.

Are they truly black? Is that the final colour i.e. full ripeness?
                  Even if the taste was average at best I think I'd still want to have a go - they look fantastic!

Scarlet, do you have any tips for growing Black Russian - I always struggle with this for some reason.

I only grew Vilma this year - they took ages to ripen and then the slugs got the ones that did, so what they tasted like I'm afraid I can't say. Decent yield though, so that's something.

Favourite tomato to date I'd have to say Black Cherry.

Comment

Originally posted by Philthy View Post
                    Are they truly black? Is that the final colour i.e. full ripeness?
                    Even if the taste was average at best I think I'd still want to have a go - they look fantastic!
                    There will be a bit on each tomato that isn't in the sun. That goes red when they're ready. Sometimes you need to be a contortionist to see it though. Mine are nearly completely black.

They do taste good, and they have bizarrely curly leaves.

Comment

Blue OSU is another one to try if you are intrigued with DWS. It is a large tom with a good flavour and it is blue/black and when ripe the bit out of the sun goes red similar to DWS.

I will try and get some pics of ripe ones later.

Attached Files
                      Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 23-09-2015, 03:36 PM. Reason: piccies

Comment

I grew DWS for the first time this year, their colour is beautiful, dark dark purple, with a touch of deep red, inside quite light. Their taste is very sweet, will def grow next year, if I can get some seeds, should try and save some I suppose!
                        DottyR

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                          Blue OSU is another one to try if you are intrigued with DWS. It is a large tom with a good flavour and it is blue/black and when ripe the bit out of the sun goes red similar to DWS.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59507[/ATTACH]

I will try and get some pics of ripe ones later.
                          Where did you find your blue OSU seeds? I've got some Indigo Rose I plan on trying but I'm very interested in any blue/purple/black toms so I wouldnt mind seeing if I can locate some if theres anywhere that sells them.

Comment

I think Indigo Rose is the new name for Blue OSU

Comment

Originally posted by Ryleh View Post
                              Where did you find your blue OSU seeds? I've got some Indigo Rose I plan on trying but I'm very interested in any blue/purple/black toms so I wouldnt mind seeing if I can locate some if theres anywhere that sells them.
                              Mine came from the lovely VC and the marvellous VSP. There are none in there at the mo, but I should be sending some back to VC probably around Nov/ Dec time

Edit: Having a read of Tatianas Tom Base http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/OSU_Blue . Blue Osu, P20 Blue and Indigo Rose are different results of the breeding work of Jim Myers from Oregon State University.
                              Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 23-09-2015, 12:18 PM.

Comment

I read that the Blue Osu was smuggled out during the early stages of Jim Myers breeding programme. The indigo rose came later and was a released version - probably more stable than the earlier versions.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X