X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is from the 'Orange Pear' that I got from the vsp lol
    Attached Files
    What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
    Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Gardeners Delight

Easy to Grow Cordon – Great Flavour – a Staple

Health and vigour 8/10
      Taste 8/10
      Grow Again? Yes, but will probably grow something else,

Terenzo

Semi Bush Determinate - Best of the bunch this year – top notch flavour, indoors and outside

Health and vigour 10/10
      Taste 10/10
      Grow Again? Yes, Yes Yes

Tumbling Tom Yellow
      A determinate bush Varity with a sweet and pleasant fruit,
      Health and vigour 8/10
      Taste 8/10
      Grow Again? Yes but will probably grow something else,

Sungold
      Sweet and robust fruit – easy to grow
      Health and vigour 8/10
      Taste 8/10
      Grow Again? Yes = but will probably grow something else,

Comment

Never heard of Terenzo Tryshard...I'll have to look it up!

Comment

Roughwood golden plum - bush/plum

Short stocky plants with very thick sturdy stems although they've now succumbed to grey mould. I haven't had a big crop off these. Half the fruit are still green. I've grown one in a pot and one in the ground and they've both behaved the same. They have very large plum shaped fruits,bright orange, my kids have mistaken some for tangerines, though there have been some whoppers on them too. Meaty fruits that Ive used for cooking, very few seeds and little juice. Not really (IMO) a tomato for eating fresh, I find all yellow/orange toms pretty bland.

Health and vigour - 8/10
          Taste - 6/10 fresh though aren't bad in a tomato sauce!
          Grow again - maybe
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Scarlet; 16-09-2015, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Here
            Tomato 'Terenzo' F1 Hybrid - Tomato Seeds - Thompson & Morgan

Comment

Black Russian - vine/medium

Tall plants with around 6 tons per truss. They aren't the first to produce but they are really worth the wait. Full of flavour, really juicy with a bite that goes well with that glass of wine and some olives. They are a deep mahogany colour with green shoulders, to be honest I just love all "black" tomatoes fresh! It's still producing fruit now, picked another 4 today.

Health and vigour - 8
              Taste - 9
              Grow again - yes, always do
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Scarlet; 16-09-2015, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Tall plants with around 6 tons per truss
                I bet those trusses need some supporting

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  Not really (IMO) a tomato for eating fresh, I find all yellow/orange toms pretty bland.
                  WHAT? (gasp) Scarlet, I nearly fainted reading this The toms that do not survive the way from the vine to the kitchen are definitely yellow in this garden! Gelbe Königin, Aranyalma, Gelbe Gerlinde. Yum! Only I make sure I pick them slightly under-ripe. Yellow but still firm. And ideally eaten warm from a beautiful day's sunshine. And then I thank the universe for the privilege of being alive.

(There is one red exception to this rule: Vesennij Mieurinski. If you haven't tried that one, you've not lived)
                  ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

One exception to the rule Nellie - I really like Gelbe Konigin and have grown it every year since you sent me seed. I love the mix of colours in a salad and will always grow a few of each colour BUT there are only so many tomatoes you can eat in a day and the black varieties really have the flavour I like. Although I would choose a yellow home grown tomato before a bright juicy red one from the shop.
                    Last edited by Scarlet; 16-09-2015, 05:13 PM.

Comment

What about poor orange banana Scarlet? Doesn't that wiggle under as an exception too?
                      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Scarlet, did you have any problems with blossom end rot with Black Russian? I loved it but had problems

Comment

No problem at all, did you grow them in pots?

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
                            What about poor orange banana Scarlet? Doesn't that wiggle under as an exception too?
                            Yes I grow that one every year too I wouldn't be without the different colours but on a taste test for eating fresh, side by side I would go for a "black" variety over the yello/orange ones. They just don't have that kick that goes with a dry glass of wine
                            For cooking I would choose something else.

Comment

Yes and I think the temp swings in the greenhouse didnt help.

Comment

Do you grow everything in pots? If not, have a go at planting them in the GH border. Or a bigger pot maybe, as the blossom end rot usually points to a watering problem. It's a really good variety and worth another go. Just read your previous post, I've never tried them outdoors, may be worth a shot

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X