Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Rougheood Golden Plum were grown in the greenhouse. So disappointed as it looked beautiful.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
      Not the best year to rate them but will pick out a few anyhoo.

Gelbe something or other (a Nellie-M tom)

When googled I found it was Golden Queen tom. However I grew a golden queen tom for the VSP last year and they are two very different toms. The VSP one was an early one that lacked flavour. However Nellies I would say is a mid season tom a very nice flavoursome salad type tom. (On the sweeter side)

Health and vigour 7/10
      Taste 8/10
      Crop - 6/10
      Would I grow again - yes.
      Weeeeell - Google knows a lot. But not everything

"Koenigin" does mean queen. "Gelbe" means yellow, and "Golden" means golden. There actually are two different varieties, a Golden Queen which is commercially available, and this Yellow Queen which is an heirloom variety and not in the shops. I got it about 15 or 20 years ago from a friend who had in turn got it from a school project dedicated to saving old varieties.

The Yellow Queen (Gelbe Koenigin) has been a favourite of mine ever since. It hasn't disappointed me once, I always get a nice yield, and like you say not too late in summer. I find it is important NOT to wait until the fruit turns golden, as by then it is really over-ripe. It also doesn't store too well and shouldn't sit in the kitchen for more than a couple of days. But if picked yellow and eaten fresh it is one of the nicest salad tomatoes I have. I'm really happy you liked it
      ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

• Originally posted by Penellype View Post
        Legend

Earliness 1/10
        Health and vigour 0/10
        Taste no idea
        Will I grow again - not if you paid me to.
        See post #24

Finally one of the 5 tomatoes was ready to eat - once I'd cut out clumps of hard, green seeds.

Flavour 3/10.

The only tomato I have ever grown that beat this for sheer dire performance was a beefsteak variety called Pomona that I bought as a plant in 2012. That produced a few green fruit, but before any were ready to pick it got blight and died.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Legend

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
          Update on Legend - I cut the plant down because it was looking pretty much dead, and noticed a brown stain on the inside of the stem at the bottom. Together with the yellowing leaves and wilting I think this is fusarium wilt, which is apparently common. I've never had it before. The advice is to grow resistant varieties as the fungus can remain in the soil for years, and guess what - all of the other varieties that I've grown in the soil (Sungold, Shirley, Roma, plus Mountain Magic and Ferline) are resistant. Legend is not.
          I grew Legend this year too. By accident I cut through the main stem and, after you posted this, noticed a brown ring inside the stem. This photo was taken in September.

The plant sent out lots of sideshoots and fruited quite heavily, considering I had abused it so badly.

August

September

I will grow it again and give it a sporting chance without the "hard pruning".
          Flavourwise - 8/10
          No hard green bits - just a decent size red tomato.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Interesting. Mine had a much browner stem than yours, and maybe the flavour was affected by me keeping the tomatoes for about a month before eating them.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Reserving my judgment on these "Babies" although slightly sweet, but very thick "Skinned" and I personally don't like thick skinned tomatoes!

"Principe Borghese"

Maybe they are better off left to their best vertues as being a "Sun Dried" but not being in Spain, don't know how we would achieve that?

Not bad! Lovely equil shape, Taste just didn't cut the mustard for me!
              Attached Files
              "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Mine are

ok heres what i can remember

marmande: squat little plants producing fairly early for the size of tomato
                Health - 9/10 some green shoulders
                Yield - 8/10
                Taste - 8/10 not bad
                Grow it again? yes

brandywine: heritage
                Health - 8/10 lots of green shoulders
                Yield - 4/10
                Taste - 10/10
                Grow it again? no to long to mature

Roma: plum tomato
                Health - 10/10 no problems
                Yield - 7/10
                Taste - 8/10 very solid fleshed for canning or paste great pizza sauce
                Grow it again? YES ive been advised to let them grow as a bush tomato trying that with sodium bicarbonate spraying vs any blight risk

st.piere french heritage variety reliable medium sized fruits
                Health - 10/10
                Yield - 7/10
                Taste - 8/10 very flavoursome
                Grow it again? Yes

outdoor girl
                Health - 10/10
                Yield - 3/10
                Taste - 2/10 worse than supermarket tomato
                Grow it again? if hell freezes over

subarctic plenty
                Health - 10/10
                Yield - 3/10
                Taste - 1/10 worse than supermarket tomato
                Grow it again? if hell freezes over, no not even then

yellow pear

health 7/10
                yield 7/10
                taste 6/10

Grow it again? maybe

Comment

• Paul, another one you might consider is Pantano Romanesco. Very similar to Marmandes in shape and taste but a bit bigger. The plant is a cordon, grows like the clappers and has very thick stems. Good yield. Drawback is a tendency to fork, but so vigorous that I end up letting them do so if I catch them a bit late. Not quite as early to harvest as Marmande but quicker than my other big toms.

Comment

• One of my favourites Snoop! Perfect for a tomato salad with a glass of wine. They are delicious.

Comment

• I'll give you my verdict later this year as I'm growing one of your Pantano's for the first time Which wine do you recommend?

Comment

• Any so long as it's cold, dry and white

I always grow them with two stems
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	2372992Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	2372993
                        Last edited by Scarlet; 07-06-2017, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• I tried my very first sun gold yesterday.

I like them, I like them a lot

Comment

• SP! Honest! If that was your first!

You have been missing out on life! .............
                            "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
                              SP! Honest! If that was your first!

You have been missing out on life! .............
                              It really was Deano
                              what else am I missing ???????

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                                I tried my very first sun gold yesterday.

I like them, I like them a lot
                                Was it one of your own?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X