No announcement yet.

How's everyone squash doing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yellow courgettes were the first, followed by green, now producing well, actually made a chocolate courgette cake yesterday.

Patty pans, lots of leaf, maybe the odd flower, no fruits as yet.

Pumpkins- nil, no germination, pity.
    DottyR

Comment

Have had 3 yellow round courgettes so far,yellow courgettes long ones are trying,green ones have yet to get going,the butternut are also not growing,in the grow barn i got 2 albenga's,one has yet to grow up,the other is aprox 3 foot high,it had a tiny fruit,but it droped off,no moor to be seen yet,i live in hope,it's nice to share the growing info as letts us all see we not on our own.
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Nothing so far on my Thelma Saunders, Rolet and Honeybear.
        A couple of ferrero rocher size fruits on my two Crown Princes.
        Courgettes starting to produce nicely though, had about 10 courgettes in the last week or so (picked small).
        He-Pep!

Comment

Courgettes (Piccolo and Green Bush) starting to produce more than I can eat fresh, so its soup making time. Goldmine is a little more reserved, but producing a few nice courgettes.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

My one surviving courgette - custard white - produced its first flower today, and I've finally done something right with the outdoor cucs 'cos they've both got baby cucs on. And there was a huge snail brazenly nestled up to the stalk of one this afternoon.

That snail is now flat.
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

The five courgette plants doing well and keeping us reasonably well supplied.

Most of the butternut squash plants are growing well. I'm growing them upwards. Lots of leaves and even a couple of flower buds. No actual squash on them yet, although I'm ever hopeful.

Comment

I forgot to mention my Small Sugar. I seem to have the diet version as it's definitely sugarless at the moment.

My outdoor cucumbers have grown nicely and ate keeping me supplied with fresh cukes - although I am growing them in my blowaway. My Cucamelons are starting to flower in there as well.

The sweetheart melons are covered with flowers - apparently all female. My watermelon is getting a few flowers - all male. Can they crosd pollinate?

Today my cha cha has one male AND one female which look like they might also flower tomorrow.

My climbing courgettes have one female flower looking like tomorrow is its coming out party.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Rubbish!!!

Am I bitter? Yes...

Plants are still in the soil but the leaves are crispy'ish so I think they must have had wind burn. Next year I will place them in a cold frame to start with

Comment

My courgette plant has given me about 10 courgettes so far - I only went for one as I didn't want to be too overwhelmed with my other squash as well.

I have one fruit developing on my pattypan, two on my Hubbard blue which I've had to cut back as it's taking over the bed. I've had plenty of male flowers on those 3 to eat, so that's kept me going.

My butternut was held back by the cold and is still developing greenery. I can't remember what my other 3 squash are off the top of my head, but they're in the same situation.

My cucumber has about 5 fruits on it, but they've all got to about 2 inches and just stopped growing with the flowers falling off, even though after the first I started hand pollinating before removing the male flowers, also for eating.

Comment

jim pitts

all squash are slow this year and seem to think its all over already not a lot of production at the moment hoping for some gentle heat instead of the searing temperatures we have been getting. Runner beans almost destroyed by blackfly that were almost impossible to control only just starting to flower hope to get some later.

Comment

I've now got 4 pumpkins on one hundredweight and 3 on the other swelling up. My Atlantic Giant is starting to develop embryonic females and there's male flowers all over the three of them.

A couple of my other squash are starting to get females but I can't remember which ones.

Picked a couple of green courgettes and the shooting stars have a couple of flowers open - both male and female

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I've currently got 4 pumpkins on my Atlantic Giant and this is the largest one, which is football sized.
                          Attached Files
                          What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                          Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Update on my Pumpkin. Now got three Pumpkins all a similar size on this plant
                            Attached Files
                            What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                            Pumpkin pi.

Comment

I've given up hope for my squashes this year. All took multiple attempts to germinate, and are now sulking in the ground and slowly shrinking as the slugs get fatter.
                              He-Pep!

Comment

So far 18 have set and are growing: 3 potimarrons, 1 marina di chioggia, 4 small sugar, 1 tiny burgess buttercup, 1 flat white, 4 small black futsu, 1 shishigatani, 1 huge berretina piacentina, 2 tromba d'albenga.

Sounds ok, but I have 22 plants so they aren't doing brilliantly. Still nothing on iran, butternut, sweet dumpling, jarrahdale or geraumon martinique.

Courgettes are really struggling - amongst 8 plants I get 1 courgette/week.
                                http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X