No announcement yet.

too hot for my plants!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My lettuce have taken a hammering this year as well as they are in the open sunshine. However i have some smal l ammount planted in an old belfast sink and i am able ti shade it with some green mesh which has been a great help.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

lost broccoli and pack choi Some courgette that I just plant last week end are a bit wilted. But nothing to worry. My tomato look that are the only one happy for the heatwave. I thought I was gonna loose them but now are taller and have some little fruit on the them.

Comment

I've joined the mushy lettuve brigade -the forecast 35 degrees has topped out at 43 this afternoon and I've not taken enough care.
        Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

I lost some stuff in the conservatory as i did not expect temperatures into the 30s so suddenly in Scotland. I put some stuff outside and they bolted whilst waiting to be transplanted. Wasn't expecting that. My veg in containers... mange tout and various chinese greens all wilt during the day and i run to water them. They plump up again and basically i have to water them like 3 times a day when it is hot and not raining. Complete reversal of the last month where barely had to water as there was always rain.

Growing lettuce for the first time so i've noted from the experiences here that it is best if i place it in the shade. They are sitting in the conservatory waiting to be transplanted.

Comment

We are having 35C to 40C every day in Bulgaria( but in the sun it is usually hotter showing on thermometer 50+C ) , rains quite a lot most nights but even so I am having to water a few times a day when things wilt, using about 800 Litres of water a day

Most things havent bolted I mainly planted Bulgarian varieties but not only, even radish are fine!, but the lettuce turned to dry mush.....didnt know you could get dry mush....

Cucumbers and that are mostly fine as mostly they are growing through 2 foot of plants and weeds....it protects them from the sun, in areas I cleared the cucumbers and tomatoes all wilt in the hottest weather and need watering far more often than the bits growing in a great pile , I have butternut squash growing up my red hot poker plants and in a giant mint bed, just everything everywhere..and they are healthier than the neat bits

Sweetcorn I have planted between the plants and seems to protect the corgettes/marrows, squash and cucumbers in the same way, sun doesnt bake the plants, but still watering a lot

This was today outside in the middle of the garden but not in direct sun, next to the dome and in the shadow of a tree 15% humidity and 55 deg C.....

Attached Files
            Last edited by starloc; 06-07-2015, 05:41 PM.
            Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X