Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Desiree or Charlotte? And are they normal??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumping this thread to ask Bario for the latest news. Hope its better than it seemed to be.

Comment

Looking at the last block of pictures, the tomato plant looks to me to have leaf curl rather than weed killer damage.

He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
        Looking at the last block of pictures, the tomato plant looks to me to have leaf curl rather than weed killer damage.
        Sadly you're wrong BB, this was 100% aminopyralid damage. If you look closely you can see that even the flower buds are distorted. Everywhere that I put that manure I saw twisted, stunted growth - potatoes, tomatoes, peas, onions and broad beans.

If more evidence is needed, take a look at this picture (taken today) of a broad bean plant that I direct sowed too close to a row of (poisoned) onions - you can see healthy growth behind:

Thankfully, the damage is fairly localised, as I didn't dig the stuff into the whole plot, but I did lose most of my potatoes and my outside peas, and some onions.

I did dig loads into the beds I was going to grow my courgettes in, but I've planted those up with squashes instead - apparently the squash family is not affected by aminopyralid as much as other plant types, and they do seem to be growing normally - whether I'll eat anything they produce, i haven't decided yet. I'm hoping that they'll 'draw out' the noxious stuff from the beds in some way.

So - beware of horse manure! Test it before you use it! Don't assume (as I did) that this problem is a thing of the past....
        Attached Files
        He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
          So - beware of horse manure! Test it before you use it! Don't assume (as I did) that this problem is a thing of the past....
          This is a sad thread. Are you going to get rid of some of your soil or wait it out? You must be gutted

Comment

Really sorry Bario.
            A timely warning for all those who think manure is safe to use

Comment

Another sorry from me Bario
              Nannys make memories

Comment

And from me. Devastating to do all that work and have it come to nothing, and then have to deal with the remaining problem. I hope your squashes grow well.
                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  Are you going to get rid of some of your soil or wait it out?
                  I'll wait till the end of the season, then dig what I can out. Each time the soil gets turned over the chemical depletes, but apparently it can hang about for 4 or 5 years, so yeah, I'm gutted!
                  He-Pep!

Comment

Oh blimey...the damage to your plants is just awful.
                    The problem, we know, is horrendous but actually seeing the twisted and stunted growth....well, it must make you want to weep.
                    It does me.
                    I'm gutted for you Bario.

I think I might reserve those beds for a flower patch the next couple of years.
                    What on earth will you do with the soil you dig out?
                    http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Sorry to read about your what's been happening to you Bario
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Aw, thanks for all the concern folks, but apart from the spuds, it's not caused too much mayhem - I'm having a pretty decent season to be honest! I'd mainly added it to containers rather than digging it into the ground, so I don't feel like my whole plot has been sullied. As to what I'll do with the contaminated soil, I haven't decided yet - maybe spread it thinly on an area of waste ground somewhere? Maybe I can help someone out with a weed problem??
                        He-Pep!

Comment

Sorry to see it confirmed bario.
                          I suppose at least you now know what you are dealing with.

Keep us updated won't you?
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X