Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Desiree or Charlotte? And are they normal??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was a day of frost here a few week back -- bit my potatoes badly, but they're back and healthy looking and never looked like that.

It looks like weedkiller damage to me.
    Garden Grower
    Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Maybe the horse manure I collected this year is contaminated? It's always been fine before... besides, I'm pretty sure I added it to all the bags/barrels.
      He-Pep!

Comment

The supplier has studied my photo and also suggested weedkiller damage... ulp!!
        He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
          Maybe the horse manure I collected this year is contaminated? It's always been fine before... besides, I'm pretty sure I added it to all the bags/barrels.
          I was going to say manure contamination but your other spud variety is growing fine and you said you use the same mix for both.

Comment

I'm almost positive I added a shovel-full to every container... but maybe I'm wrong, I'm doubting myself a bit, and panicking mildly as I have used the same manure elsewhere on the plot. I did plant them all up at different times...

I have written to the stable owner asking if she used any weedkiller in her paddock in the last year.
            He-Pep!

Comment

I really hope it's something else fingers crossed for you. If you've spread it everywhere you would see a similar story elsewhere - have you got any beans? Plant some in the container of spuds. Have you unearthed the spuds to look at the original seed potato.

Comment

All the affected spuds are coming out qicksmart tomorrow. I've got plenty of French beans, I'll try sowing some in pots filled with the soil from the suspect barrels.

The seed supplier says that some of the manure could be affected and some not, even if it was dug from the same pile - makes sense I suppose, there could be a 'layer' of manure in the pile that dates from directly after the weedkiller was applied (assuming that's the issue)...

I've added loads of it to the beds where I'm just about to plant out my courgettes and squashes!!
                He-Pep!

Comment

Oh, I really don't know what to say.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                    There was a day of frost here a few week back -- bit my potatoes badly, but they're back and healthy looking and never looked like that.

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    I really hope it's something else fingers crossed for you. If you've spread it everywhere you would see a similar story elsewhere - have you got any beans? Plant some in the container of spuds. Have you unearthed the spuds to look at the original seed potato.
                    Been thinking about it and came back on to say this!

The seed supplier says that some of the manure could be affected and some not, even if it was dug from the same pile - makes sense I suppose, there could be a 'layer' of manure in the pile that dates from directly after the weedkiller was applied (assuming that's the issue)... I've added loads of it to the beds where I'm just about to plant out my courgettes and squashes!!
                    It doesn't help but it's more likely that you've hit a layer of straw that was treated rather than the grazing - which would explain why it's not in every thing.

This looks like you http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...12-damage2.jpg

Try http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...t=aminopyralid

and
                    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...t=aminopyralid

I thought there was a sticky somewhere but can find it.

Hard luck. I really don't know why it isn't banned.
                    "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
                      Hard luck. I really don't know why it isn't banned.
                      Actually, I do vested interests.

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Straw from the bedding you mean? If so, it can't be, because they use woodchip pellet bedding at this particular stables.
                        He-Pep!

Comment

Straw from the bedding you mean? If so, it can't be, because they use woodchip pellet bedding at this particular stables.
                          OK - maybe they just sprayed one field or fed hay/forage from a supplier who had use it. Still looks like aminopyralid and still hard luck.
                          Last edited by marchogaeth; 03-06-2015, 05:02 PM.

Comment

If you can get some cheap tubers Bario, I would quickly get the manky ones out, put some new ones in & see what happens. At least you will know if it's the compost or the tubers.
                            Last edited by Bigmallly; 03-06-2015, 06:18 PM.
                            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                            -----------------------------------------------------------
                            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I've added loads of it to the beds where I'm just about to plant out my courgettes and squashes!!
                              That's where I would be most tempted to plant some Beans.
                              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                              -----------------------------------------------------------
                              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Because aminopyralid is sprayed on grass to kill broad leaved weeds, it naturally doesn't kill the grass.

Theoetically, because sweetcorn is a grass,it should be safe to grow this in the contaminated areas if you have some to plants to put out?
                                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X