Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaves that you can eat, but you didn't know you could, till you did!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Young nettle leaves.

absolutely delish in soup form!

https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/nettle-soup

here's one recipe- but you can chuck them in with most soups to bulk them out ( as you can with the outer leaves of lettuce which don't look too inviting in a salad!)
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Nice sites Jay-ell!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Tomato leaves - I found out from James Wong's latest book but there's a little on the internet too. He uses them like a bay leaf when cooking to add a fresh tomato flavour.

Tomato Leaves: The Toxic Myth | Garden Betty

http://http://www.nytimes.com/2009/0...anted=all&_r=0

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
          Of course you could dig up the root, chop it, roast it, grind it .and use it as a coffee substitute
          It has never occurred to me to do this. A very chatty ambulance driver the other day gave me the lowdown on how to make dandelion root tea. A revelation!

Comment

Originally posted by ancee View Post
            Sarico, do you mean the leaves or the stalks or both? I never knew that? theyre so spiky too! We eat the flowers and the courgettes of course!
            leaves and stem. Usually I harvest the top of the plant about 4sets of leaves. Here is how I do cook it.
            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ant_66590.html

Comment

I remember you telling us how you cooked them, Sarico.
              That year I had no courgettes - with or without leaves Still haven't tried it!

Comment

Well another way to use spare plants. You could try to sow some seed avert week so you get a good harvest considered the speed that courgette plant grow when the weather get better.

Comment

Sarico, That looks lovely and we will definitely be trying the recipe you've provided. You should have your own cookery show! Brilliant! thank you
                  You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

The leaves of Roselle (Hibiscus Sabdariffa - normally grown for its red fleshy calyx) are apparently used in Burmese curries. Ill give it a go later in the year if I can find any recipes.

And vine leaves of course - try making dolmas without them

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

If anyone wants to try ground elder, please pick mine! I'm overrun with the stuff, it's a gardeners nightmare.

Comment

A Zimbabwe lady told me how she ate pumpkin leaves. They were tasty but a bit of a faff as they had to have the prickles stripped from leaves and stems before being cooked like spinach and served with cream.
                        Also, on recommendation, I tried dandelion root chews. The thick roots are sun dried until tough but still flexible. They take some jaw work to get the juices going and taste just like half dried out dandelion roots. Far too bitter for my taste.
                        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X