No announcement yet.

Best Seed Compost (In your opinion).

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You would think so Alison but they go straight into a greenhouse when germinated...............???.........it's just me I guess.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Well would you really want it to be easy Mally?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Yes please..................
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
          ...but go back to a John Innes Seed Compost for trickier stuff. This isn't as good as it used to be either, I'm finding it's best to sieve it before use and even to add more sharp sand to open up the texture a bit and stop it going hard in the seed trays...
          I'm finding that too! Perhaps I might start using MPC myself.
          If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

I have been using Jacks Magic with course sand 50/50 for seed sowing, and have had very good results.
            For cuttings I add more sand
            Last edited by rary; 18-05-2015, 09:13 PM.
            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I used compost out of a grow bag this year. ( Easier to drag home than a bag of mpc) Never had such good sturdy seedlings before!

Comment

Resurrecting this thread, any update/experiences from the 2016 growing season please?

Comment

I just use a decent MPC but pick out any big bits for most seeds with some vermiculite on top. Sometimes add a bit of vermiculite or sand to the mix especially for cuttings. Mind you, I don't grow anything too demanding !
                  Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Westland MPC plus some perlite to aid root separation with a sprinkle of vermiculite on top for second year running.
                    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

The contents of the wormery mixed ~50:50 with garden soil. Depending on how meticulous I feel / think is needed depending on what I'm sowing, the garden soil might get sterilised in the pressure cooker, air dried, or used as is. I garden with as few external inputs as I can manage.
                      Last edited by planetologist; 03-01-2017, 06:11 PM.

Comment

My chillies are in Sylvagrow seed compost - is a bit early to report back yet but I'll let you know how they do. No longer using any peat-based compost here.
                        http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Verve blergve.

I have used Verve MPC sieved for many years, but last year I had terrible results, I'm sure the recipe has changed and more green waste was added. I had more rotted seedlings than ever, as the compost stayed so wet & started to decompose very quickly.

This year I intend to use 'propper' seed sowing compost, but it's a bit early for me to start any seeds off yet, so I've not purchased any.

Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

I splashed out on J*ck's M*gic last year and it was really worth the extra cost.
                            He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                              I splashed out on J*ck's M*gic last year and it was really worth the extra cost.
                              I used that alongside SylvaGrow last year to see what difference it made with my padrons. They both grew equally well.
                              http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Which? Best Buy composts for seed sowing.

The latest Garden Which? Compost trial has shown that the Best Buy composts for seed sowing are:

1. Wyevale multipurpose with John innes. (Orange bag, green top). £5.99 for 50L
                                2. Melcourt Sylvagrow with added John innes. £7.99 for 50L
                                3. Thompson & Morgan Incredicompost £14.99 70L
                                4. Wyevale Multipurpose £4.99 for 50L.

In that order.

Good luck.

Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X