Great weather for tomatoes.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the big lebowski View Post
    hi, is it bad to eat toms that have had blight on the plant ? last year i grew some small/cherry plum types,gave most of them to family i didnt get any complaints of anyone
    You can eat the fruits that haven't blackened (although they often font keep so long) but the black bits will be bleugh

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Me too, Nicos, but I just don't have the space for either. I have loads of toms on the go... will be gutted if the dreaded B shows up. I'm just gonna spray them all with aspirin and hope for the best.

Comment

Yep, I agree Alison...once the tomatoes have more than a few 'freckles' of blight on them, the flavour starts to change.
        They have a sweet , musty yukky flavour...is that a good description?
        Last edited by Nicos; 24-04-2015, 07:52 AM.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by the big lebowski View Post
          hi, is it bad to eat toms that have had blight on the plant ? last year i grew some small/cherry plum types,gave most of them to family i didnt get any complaints of anyone
          Alison pipped me to the post! If you pick the toms as soon as you see any sign of blight they ripen fine, other times as they get older the blight kicks in and they are disgusting. I find its best to use them quickly before the black bits start to form. You probably picked them In the nick of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
            They have a sweet , musty yummy flavour...is that a good description?
            Perfect description

On a different note, love the way this thread has become an interesting and adult discussion

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Ha! I had typed in yukky!...and predictive text changed it to yummy!

Comment

^^^^ not so adult now...sorry Alison!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                  ^^^^ not so adult now...sorry Alison!
                  It's all relative

Comment

I suppose it depends on what you mean by success, I seem to remember 2013 season you were having problems.

Like most others here I grow in my green house because it increases the number of varieties I can grow and increases the yield per plant.

I have to supply SWMBO who again like most others here preserves a lot of produce for us to enjoy throughout the year.
                    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Now I'm worried! See, I've only ever grown Tom's in the lean-to usually very successfully but after a bad season last year I've already started a whole raft of outdoor variety's. I've never seen blight before so I'm concerned! Is blight very prevalent on these variety's?
                      The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men gang aft agley

Comment

Originally posted by esbo View Post
                        For the last few years I have successfully grow tomatoes outdoors, which got me wondering, why bother with a greenhouse for tomatoes?

I've had really good cherry tomatoes outside, but all the others have been struck down with blight. Sometimes with none ripening, sometimes with a few but not many.

Am looking forward to decent beefsteak tomatoes from my greenhouse this year...
                        http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by Python15 View Post
                          Now I'm worried! See, I've only ever grown Tom's in the lean-to usually very successfully but after a bad season last year I've already started a whole raft of outdoor variety's. I've never seen blight before so I'm concerned! Is blight very prevalent on these variety's?
                          It happens in warm, wet weather so it depends on what Summer we get. Cherry toms ripen much earlier that the beefy ones so if we do get the right conditions for blight to strike you've already had a decent crop and can take off your semi ripe cherry toms before the blight affects the fruit. Large or late flowering toms are more at risk, same as your main crop spuds.
                          What are you growing this year, what were your problems last Summer. We had fab weather - no blight at all around here

Comment

the toms have been enjoying this warm weather (in the greenhouse) and just as they reach the size to be moved from the bench down into the border they forecast rain (already started) sleet/snow and freezing nights, don't you just love the british summer ,that's it , its all over now....

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
                              the toms have been enjoying this warm weather (in the greenhouse) and just as they reach the size to be moved from the bench down into the border they forecast rain (already started) sleet/snow and freezing nights, don't you just love the british summer ,that's it , its all over now....
                              Oh, I hope not! We've just had a lovely warm Spring spell plenty more sun to come ( fingers and toes crossed)

Comment

Originally posted by Python15 View Post
                                I heard that blight had hit somewhere northern to me,last year on the news,so from then I kept an eye on my tomatoes stems for the big blight patches (I don't have a greenhouse,all planted in the soil or pots) as soon as I had blight on one plant,I cut the whole thing to ground level,so it doesn't spread & wash hands to prevent passing it on to healthy plants. I try to ripen everything up,so there's nothing left on the plant before the blight gets here,so I'm not binning a load of tomatoes,blight seems to come around late summer time? Some of my tomato plants weren't affected

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X