No announcement yet.

Seed sowing dilemma!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this year i have sown half white half red and damned if i can remember there names typical of me one day i will label things

Comment

Guess what I've done?
      Sown more runner beans!!
      I found some Teeniebeanies, Mountaineer and Czar lurking in with my Dwarf Runner beans so they've been sown too. Then, wait for it, I raided the VSP for anything different and found Wisley magic, Desiree, Goliath and Mrs Connells' Black (from nellie-m) so I've sown 4 of those too.

Thinking that the Dwarf RB's might feel left out, I've also sown Hestia, Pickwick and Hammond's Dwarf Scarlet (nothing personal Scarlet )

Its going to be a mega RB comparison experiment here in Sunshine land.

Think I'd better make some wiggywams in odd corners in readiness

Comment

Last year I managed to cram 6 runner bean plants into an area of about 1 sq foot...

Amazing what you can grow in very small spaces.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I decide roughly what I want to plant then when we go to the garden centre I always crash the seed section, I blame the kids heading off in that vague direction. My scientific way of picking which ones to get goes by what they look like on the package.
          I pick peoples cards this way as well. Never look at the words just the picture.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            OK,hey I may have space problems too eek:
            That part I think I think I can understand.....and relate to.

Could the above be a misquote due to selective editing?
            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

OK, you can all go to sleep now - I've sown them

4 beans of :-

Firestorm
              White Lady
              Polestar
              Moonlight
              Equator
              Painted Lady
              Lady Di
              Armstrong
              White Emergo
              Scarlet Emperor
              St George
              David Chappell (HSL)
              Buckles Black (local variety with Black beans).

If they all grow I may have space problems as I have 14 different lots of Climbing French beans on the go too - and I haven't sown the dwarf ones yet
              Hi last year I tried Painted Lady, White Lady and Red Knight - plus a few (?) of my tried & tested Scarlet Emperor. Not bothering with SE this year, am using up the seeds left over from the others. I especially liked White Lady.

Have you ever grown St George before? And the Buckles Black sound interesting too.

I like trying different varieties - then I can choose my favourite for yield & flavour.
              Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

Guess what I've done?
                Sown more runner beans!!

Its going to be a mega RB comparison experiment here in Sunshine land.

Think I'd better make some wiggywams in odd corners in readiness
                Hope there's a market stall nearby for your excess beans

You could have a bean party I suppose - guess the variety! Hey - there's an idea
                Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

Coming to the party, LL?
                  If, and its a big IF, they all grow, I'll put a quiz on here - Name that Bean.
                  I was surprised how different in colour and size the bean seeds were - and how many were white.
                  I only grew Firestorm (in a polytunnel) and White Lady last year and didn't have many of either.
                  This year I hope to have enough surplus beans to post through the neighbour's letterboxes

Comment

Corse they will all grow VC - just not sure what into!
                    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Good thing you like Beans, VC!

You could always go into the 'caning (canning?). industry!
                      DottyR

Comment

VC, my buckles black didn't do so well for me last year...not sure why. Did you grow them last year?

Comment

VC, I'm just envious of the growing room you must have for just beans!!!
                          The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men gang aft agley

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            VC, my buckles black didn't do so well for me last year...not sure why. Did you grow them last year?
                            No I didn't, Scarlet. Nellie did and said they're weren't all black seeded and must have crossed - maybe before she had them from me.

Originally posted by Python15 View Post
                            VC, I'm just envious of the growing room you must have for just beans!!!
                            Don't even ask about how many climbing squashes I've sown...............or the courgettes.........or the peas

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X