No announcement yet.

How many tomato plants are you growing and what varieties

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 x maskota and 2 x garden pearl for me - more than enough!

Comment

8 tumbling tom red
      3 Red pear

I don't actually like tom's (especially the smell of the leaves ) but I use them to bulk out veg pasta sauce, for chilli, et c and make homemade gifts for friends - I can only stand them cooked in things when I can't see, smell or taste them lol!

Comment

spamvindaloo, pop your address in a message and i'll send you a few seeds.

edited to add who this was addressed to.
        Last edited by rosiepumpkin; 24-07-2015, 01:45 PM.

Comment

white wonder
          indigo rose
          san marzano
          taxi yellow

Comment

My 2015 list was one or two each of the following:

Aranyalma
            Black Cherry
            Black Russian
            Gardeners Delight
            Gold Rush Currant
            Green Zebra
            Mini Orange
            Mortgage Lifter
            Pantano
            Roma
            San Marzano
            Shirley
            Spanish Big Globe
            Sungold
            Sunset's Red Horizon
            Transparent
            Tigerella
            Urbikany
            Yellow Stuffer

Comment

I live in Manchester where the summer came very late and we had very little rain for most of the year.
              I've grown Money Maker and Gardeners Delight in my greenhouse at home. They are still green to this day and I only got one fruit which ripened and they are still free of blight.
              At the allotments all but one of the eight people who grew tomato, either in the poly tunnel or out in the open, had no success. All of their plants eventually succumbed to blight.
              Last edited by john9159; 05-11-2015, 10:26 PM.

Comment

When did you start them off John? It was a slow start for me but the ripend eventually.

Comment

Hi, I reckon I started them off in April or May, a bit late as usual but it was cold all the time in the greenhouse.
                  Will have to start using a heater next year or start some off in the poly tunnel at t'allotments where things grow remarkable quickly. Mind you, there's only minimum ventilation via the half-mesh door and it gets mighty hot in there when the sun is at it's peak (easily 32C).

Comment

Well april would be ok on your average year but this year we had a really cold Spring. Keeping toms in the poly might be ok during the day ( though seedlings may well cook in that heat) but at night they won't last, we still get frosts in April.Try starting off in March on a kitchen windowsill, tney may need more light but as they grow its best to take them to the GH during the day and back in the warm at night. They would cook in 32 in the poly and then freeze at night so that's not an option. If your GH is at your lottie, a porch or conservatory would give you enough light to stop your plants getting leggy. Remember to bring them in the warm at night.

Comment

Next year I'll be growing 7 different types. It was 2 the first year, 4 last year and will be 7 next year. It seems to go up every year.

Comment

Let's not think of this as SP turning up late to another party Let's think of it as SP turning up very early for next years party
                        Next year I will growing at least one of each of the following : Black Russian, black krim, pink Brandywine, gardeners delight, sweet baby, tumbling Tom red, I will be growing at least two heirloom mix ( lucky dip pack, hope I pick out 2 different verities). finally at least one of each, (New to my tomato family), black pineapple ( which is yellow!), sweetie and dancing with smurfs.

So far There is plenty of time to add more

Comment

I normally grow one standard tomato and one small fruited variety. This year I added a beef tomato - Brandy wine - to the mix. I used Bejbino for the small fruited but the fruit ranged from less than marble size to almost snooker ball size although the majority were just under ping pongball size. I grew Crystal(spelling?) for the standard tom but wasn't impressed. Very tasty but horribly shaped. They all get eaten whatever the shape mind but to me a tomato needs to be round and pleasing to the eye.

I will grow theCrystal again - I have two unopened packets of seed, but the Bejbino and Brandy wine won't see the light of day here again.

My favourite small fruited tomato is Berry, a strawberry shaped fruit and very tasty which lasts well on the vine and I think I'll go back to that next year.
                          Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 06-11-2015, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X