How many tomato plants are you growing and what varieties

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Knight of Albion View Post
    None. Simply not cost effective. Can get them in town far better and cheaper than any I could grow.
    Using the precious greenhouse space for something else.
    If you can buy toms better than you can grow them and cheaper, your doing something wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by Knight of Albion View Post
      None. Simply not cost effective. Can get them in town far better and cheaper than any I could grow.
      Using the precious greenhouse space for something else.
      I think shop bought toms taste disgusting, they look ripe but they are usually hard, have no smell and little taste. What do you grow instead?

Comment

I'm growing 3 types moneymaker gardeners delight and Roma, I'm trying something new this year and have purchased a grow bag house,also some plant halos I thought I'd give them a try. In the past I've been over run with toms and made the biggest mistake of putting the old plants in the compost lol I had tom plants sprouting every where, so now I put them in the recycle bin.

Comment

Originally posted by libbyloulou View Post
          If you can buy toms better than you can grow them and cheaper, your doing something wrong...
          Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          I think shop bought toms taste disgusting, they look ripe but they are usually hard, have no smell and little taste. What do you grow instead?
          Couldn't agree more, fresh toms are far superior and so much better choice of varieties. Been my storage ones which aren't as good as fresh far outweigh most shop bought ones and certainly the ones you can buy in winter. I can bottle loads too so save on buying tins but it's mainly for the taste and knowledge that they've not been sprayed or travelled the world.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            I couldn't agree more. Home grown toms are one of the highlights of the summer, nothing in the shops comes anywhere close.

Comment

Whilst I agree that Tomatoes are a highlight of Summer it pains me to see, in annual threads of "What Variety are you Growing" the number of people growing Moneymaker ... and the huge number of packets of Moneymaker on the racks in the garden centre which seem to fly off the shelf.

Great name of course ... bit like Golden Delicious compared to Cox's Orange Pipin ... the French marketing people did the right thing there ...

Moneymaker is, surely?, as close to the flavour of a useless Supermarket Tomato as it is possible to grow yourself?

Now everyone will tell me how much they love the flavour of Moneymaker AND that they have grown side by side with other varieties before coming to that conclusion ...
              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I don't rate Moneymaker either but the again everybody raves about Sungold or whatever it's called and I find it too sweet and not tomatoey enough so who ami to say .

Not all commonly grown varieties are rubbish though, I think Gardeners Delight is great and I grow a couple every year.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                  I think Gardeners Delight is great and I grow a couple every year.
                  Yup, me-too on that one. It starts fruiting earliest of all that I grow too, which is a bonus.

I do wonder if I should seek-out and grow one of the "refined" versions that I see floating about - are they actually "better"? I just grow Whatever Brand Packet [of Gardeners Delight seed] that I find in the garden centre
                  K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Tomate de Colgar are especially good as they store really well. Only used the last one a few days ago which had been harvested back in October. Bit thicker skinned than the summer ones but full of taste and much better than supermarket ones.
                    When you say stored since last October, can I ask how, e.g. Dehydrated etc?
                    Posted on an iPad so apologies for any randomly auto-corrected gobbledegook

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                      Whilst I agree that Tomatoes are a highlight of Summer it pains me to see, in annual threads of "What Variety are you Growing" the number of people growing Moneymaker ... and the huge number of packets of Moneymaker on the racks in the garden centre which seem to fly off the shelf.
                      It gets sent out with all the mags too - given the sheer variety of tomatoes I find it a bit frustrating. I wrote to Kitchen Garden's editor to ask why Moneymaker was picked and his answer was essentially that he grows it and likes it, plus they can get the bulk seed cheap.
                      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by spamvindaloo View Post
                        When you say stored since last October, can I ask how, e.g. Dehydrated etc?
                        In bowls and punnets on the window ledge / work surface. I tried wrapping them up in newspaper in the garage the first year and they didn't store well but are fine just on the side although do take up quite a bit of space which is now being used for seedlings

Comment

In bowls and punnets on the window ledge / work surface. I tried wrapping them up in newspaper in the garage the first year and they didn't store well but are fine just on the side although do take up quite a bit of space which is now being used for seedlings
                          I had no idea that tomatoes would save that long just sat at room temperature. Are there any other varieties that will keep that long? I think I am about to add some extra tomatoes to this year's list of varieties

Comment

Apparently in olden times there were loads that did but there aren't many left anymore. Have a look on the Real Seeds site and you'll see the ones I grow. I've also grown some ones called Longkeeping from HSL but I didn't find they stored as well. They do tend to have thicker skins and don't look quite as nice but I can cope with that. Still grow loads of other ones for either eating straight away or processing by bottling, making chutneys etc.

Comment

Thank you. Real seeds are not accepting orders until Saturday now but I'll be ordering some at the weekend (I think that's either my third or fourth order from real seeds so far this year, must stop reading this forum, it's making me buy far too many seeds)

Comment

Originally posted by spamvindaloo View Post
                                Thank you. Real seeds are not accepting orders until Saturday now but I'll be ordering some at the weekend (I think that's either my third or fourth order from real seeds so far this year, must stop reading this forum, it's making me buy far too many seeds)
                                Some of the Italian ones in the vsp are winter storage types

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X