Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to take this opportunity to rename this thread "The 2015 Shen Calendar"...............
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

More pics of plot will get to February soon.
      when i figure out how to put small pics

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
        I'd like to take this opportunity to rename this thread "The 2015 Shen Calendar"...............
        Sorry BM - got carried away with the improvements - should have held the latest pics till February
        Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Think I may join in too, just got our plot a week ago. Have taken a few pics already which are on another thread. I will add a couple here when I get home from work to show our progress so far...
          'The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.'

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Righty ho, here are some piccies of our plot,

Firstly, how it looked when we signed up a week ago last Sunday...

The plot came with a shed, but as you can see it had seen better days.
            At first I thought we could salvage the shed, but upon closer inspection a lot of the supports were either broken or rotten through. Not really sure how long it had been like that but I think it was quite a while.
            On the first day we cleared away the dead shed, had a quick tidy up and had good old think.

This weekend just past was our first chance to have a proper go at it, we spent a couple of hours on Saturday and about 5 hours or so on Sunday.

It now looks like this,

The pile of turf in this photo is going to be a strawberry patch, we pinched the idea off one of our fellow plot holders!

We found a big pile of bricks at one end of the plot which we are using to line the paths, so far we must've used about a third of the pile.

We are now on the hunt for a decent shed, a wheelbarrow and other various odds and ends. With a bit of luck in a month or so it should start to look something like an allotment!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Taterhead; 27-01-2015, 08:34 PM.
            'The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.'

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Taterhead View Post
              Righty ho, here are some piccies of our plot,

Firstly, how it looked when we signed up a week ago last Sunday...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52895[/ATTACH]

The plot came with a shed, but as you can see it had seen better days.
              At first I thought we could salvage the shed, but upon closer inspection a lot of the supports were either broken or rotten through. Not really sure how long it had been like that but I think it was quite a while.
              On the first day we cleared away the dead shed, had a quick tidy up and had good old think.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52907[/ATTACH]

This weekend just past was our first chance to have a proper go at it, we spent a couple of hours on Saturday and about 5 hours or so on Sunday.

It now looks like this,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52910[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52911[/ATTACH]
              The pile of turf in this photo is going to be a strawberry patch, we pinched the idea off one of our fellow plot holders!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52912[/ATTACH]

We found a big pile of bricks at one end of the plot which we are using to line the paths, so far we must've used about a third of the pile.

We are now on the hunt for a decent shed, a wheelbarrow and other various odds and ends. With a bit of luck in a month or so it should start to look something like an allotment!
              I'm looking forward to seeing your plot in summer.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Posts about uploading photos have been moved to http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...tos_83377.html as they were not solely relevant to this thread.

Comment

Taterhead - you have done a brilliant job! Oh I wish I had your very obvious energy. We are off to Lu Lu Lottie tomorrow and I am already dreading my stand off with the horse radish!
                  Keep the good work up.
                  Oh and keep an eye on the Freecycle, Freegle, Freeloved and Gumfree sites as you regularly see sheds, greenhouses, slabs etc
                  I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

My word,you done good work there,as well well as what Lumpy said,have a look around factory places/industrial estates,for the likes of pallets/large cardboard to mulch your beds,water butts,if passing any building sites,especially when they near done,ask if any water and gas pipe/debri netting,these make great hoop frames,your local asda ext for flower buckets,all the above has been done with excellent results by my DH,even old window frames from the window places,no harm in asking if they have any,and leave a phone no,they contact you and say,before they get rid of the glass,even the glass on its own,we built a large green house out of pallet wood and double glazing,
                    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Been fairly mild here this january, though the pictures were taken in one of our two periods of snow that we have had this month! Kale still battling on!

Attached Files
                      Follow my progress in gardening at altitude in France www.750metres.net

Comment

That's some slope you have to work on there, datz!

Comment

Your plot looks HUGE taterhead! ( love that name). You'll sure get a lot of veggies this summer, good luck.
                          DottyR

Comment

Whey Hey - 3 weeks on and Lu Lu is looking alot prettier!

Before
                            and now....

before
                            and now...

Thank God for extra thick washing up gloves under my gardening ones!
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Lumpy; 01-02-2015, 02:00 PM.
                            I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

I made a right pigs ear of the above so here is the one I should have put in as a 'after

Attached Files
                              Last edited by Lumpy; 01-02-2015, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Good work Lumpy. Hope your aches & pains healed ok.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X