Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planted out some young cabbages - Nantais Hatif and Attraction F1.
    Weeded and watered my onions and my gladioli. Hoeing is hopeless on my clay-and-flint soil so I hand-weeded. Slow but effective. The overwintered onions are swelling nicely now so I want to keep them well watered for the next few weeks to help the yield.

I gave the early potatoes a good soak as well, now that they are coming into flower. Could use some decent rain really, looks possible for Friday at the moment.
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Yesterday I planted my Toms in the GH border, today I put the brassica cage up and filled it with kale and sprouts, then I planted my kohlrabi under net cloche. Gardens starting to look productive again.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Slug patrol, only found one slug on a recce.

Comment

• Away for long weekend and came back to masses of weeds, spent most of today and yesterday making a dent in it.

Planted trail of tears, cosse violet, czar and gigant beans over the three big rows( about 50 in total- 20 gigante) and have put 3 giant sunflowers at the end of each. will be planting sweet corn in between beans and gourds down the middle. Each bed is about a metre wide.

Children and grandchildren visited there for a bbq this afternoon and took away carrier bags of salad, psb, chard and 3 varieties of chinese greens. lt was lovely showing them all the new beds-the flowers and the pond were looking nice as well.

I'm definitely in love with my allotment!
          No matter:the allotment is lovely, the tadpoles have legs, my sea kale has germinated and I am glad to be home.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
            I've been planting things out into my raised bed today,couple of cherry toms,geranium,nasturtium & marigolds. Melons & cucumber not ready to go in yet. Sowed some spring onions under my plum tree. Then my cat made me laugh,sneaking into my bean tent for a nap.
            Fantastic cat! How do your melons do outside?
            No matter:the allotment is lovely, the tadpoles have legs, my sea kale has germinated and I am glad to be home.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ovce domácí View Post
              Slug patrol, only found one slug on a recce.
              so far, this year, i have only found about a dozen over the last several weeks. I dont know if the winter was hard for them, or whether I just destroyed their population last year when there were millions of them that I rounded up over several months and dispatched.

Today I planted some winter tyme that I had sown indoors. Smelt great when I accidentally crushed a sprig.
              Last edited by Snow; 27-05-2015, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by kris1960 View Post
                Away for long weekend and came back to masses of weeds, spent most of today and yesterday making a dent in it.

Planted trail of tears, cosse violet, czar and gigant beans over the three big rows( about 50 in total- 20 gigante) and have put 3 giant sunflowers at the end of each. will be planting sweet corn in between beans and gourds down the middle. Each bed is about a metre wide.

Children and grandchildren visited there for a bbq this afternoon and took away carrier bags of salad, psb, chard and 3 varieties of chinese greens. lt was lovely showing them all the new beds-the flowers and the pond were looking nice as well.

I'm definitely in love with my allotment!
                Sounds great to have such early produce. Early days for my plot, hoping to grow good quantities of staples and stuff I can jar but some winter greens would be great in future.

Comment

• Potted my rather sick looking beafsteak toms on from trays to 4" pots to see if i can cheer them up. Yellow toms look ok but Cedrico three times rmoved look sick also.
                  Its either the poxy potting compost or lack of heat methinks.
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Planted out in the polytunnel my plum tomatoes, San Marzano. 15 plants all told, hoping to make lots of passata!

Comment

• Played the okey cokey with covers for my pumpkins and Q's because of the low temps. Did alot of weeding today and discovered a colony of pink poppies and a blackberry.
                      Went plant shopping again to fill the space where the front turf is being ripped up.
                      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

• Originally posted by kris1960 View Post
                        How do your melons do outside?
                        Failure springs to mind,the best I've grown got to about an inch,trailing on straw amongst my corn,then slugs got it when I was on holiday. I'm growing 'alvaro' melon this year,up netting. This should be a good variety for outdoors so I'm hopefully going to produce a melon or two that slugs can't reach.

Comment

• Planted out 20ish gourds, 6 different varieties and then read posts about planting them out. At the very least I should have saved one of each 'just in case'!

Glad I didn't plant out the melons!

Fingers crossed..........will let you know if they have survived outside.

Comment

• Last night I potted on all my squash, aubergines and the rest of the tomatoes to 15cm pots. Hopefully this will do for a couple of weeks until they go into their final pots or the ground just before I go on holiday

Comment

• I removed some of the lower leaves from my tomatoes and noticed I had a sungold nearly ready!

Attached Files

Comment

• Planted out runner beans and was assisted in the sowing of sweetpeas by my 4yo. The beans are for his bean teepee, anyway. Then I hoed and weeded while he enacted a toy scenario where the car repeatedly kidnapped the dog, and the racing driver rescued the dog and vanquished the car. I have the best allotment buddy....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X