Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice to wear a cosy hoody out there today,its a bit breezy. Watered my seedlings,lettuce,spring onions,Brussels sprouts,also watered some onions & rocket in the blow away (have to tighten the poles everyday but it's still standing). Luckily it's just started raining for the few plants outside. Dead headed French marigolds,geranium,petunia & nasturtium (one nasturtium is growing strong,higher than the trellis now,about more 6inches & it will be at the top of the swing,it looks great,I can't believe it). It's in a raised bed,in a cosy spot next to the edge,so the roots are more sheltered than the nasturtium in my pots. I've raised the netting above my electric onion sets the shoots are 5-8 inches,a marigold flower has grown through a hole in the net,I can't move that bit,but it's ok.

Comment

• Friday 13th Nov
      Very windy, but wrapped up! Dug up the bind weed infested area and tried to clear as much bind weed as possible. Hopefully next year it'll be more manageable. Weeded and cleared as much of the plot as possible in readiness to manure. Tidied up some onions that had been drying out in the poly and packed them away in an onion bag, hung in the shed! Back home for a deserved hot coffee and cake!

Comment

• Spent a very pleasant hour in the greenhouse. I had 21 onion sets left in modules so I decided to pamper these. I potted them on into bigger pots and I am going to grow these indoors and compare them to the outdoor ones next spring.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Quite a constructive afternoon at the lottie today. Tee shirt weather with the temp at 17 degrees. Very surprised i was the only one on site?
          Dug up a load of nice clean tatties that I had grown in a muck heap. Muck heap was only 10" deep so just harvewsted spuds with my hands. Don't think I'll tell OH where those nice clean spuds were grown tho!
          Cleared a raised bed (8 foot X 2 foot) of tomato plants from greenhouse, turned over the compost and added a trug full of hoss muck and some BFB meal.. Sowed three rows of Sutton dwarf broad beans in it.
          Dug up four of my named chrysamths and potted them in to large pots to promote cuttings for next years plants. Made a mental note to check on the varietal names and label accordingly rather than just RED, YElLOW, PINK etc!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• I had plans to do so much, but did nothing there is always tomorrow
            I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Lisasbolt View Post
              I had plans to do so much, but did nothing there is always tomorrow
              I had no plans as I expected a wet day but got to go to the greenhouse and did some bits and pieces in the garden.
              Well pleased with the day and the weather stayed dry and mild.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Planted 200 dafodils bulbs. It was b****y hard work. But am so pleased I got it done. Thank goodness the rain stayed away.
                Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

• Actually went to the allotment for an hour or so, played with the compost bins a bit, did a bit of tidying up, and bought home a bag of rubbish to go in the bins. Wish there was a skip or something up there.
                  DottyR

Comment

• Atrocious weather here for this past week. Yesteday I managed to get a couple of the beds in the polytunnel tidied up - but I still have some brussels in there which I'll have to leave til Christmas and a lot of cape goosberies - those things really do take over.

We have had one small snap of frost a couiple of months ago but thankfully the chilies survived and are still going strong. I suspect this is their last chance to ripen though. Over all a poor crop of those this year.

Managed to get all the elephant garlic planted - but still some ordinary garlic to plant yet - I need to do some actual work in getting a bed set up

Comment

• Saturday I gathered a few leaves from the path in a bin liner, on my way to the plot. I Dug a small bed and added compost. Then planted a dozen shallots and 75 first early onion sets Late I know but I've been busy). I was amazed at how crumbly the soil was when I turned it, it raked a treat! I wasn't expecting that in mid November, but the rain came at 2pm and set in well for the day and evening.
                      Sunday I cut the grass one last time which included quite a few leaves too so straight in the compost bin. Gave the bins a stir. Then put the mower on the school field behind the house (school is closed now) and mulched a load of leaves before using the mower to pick them up. 3/4 filled one of those big builders bags until I could just about manage to move it flowing off the wheelbarrow. I'll take that up the plot in a week or two to add to the fresh horse muck compost I'm making. No matter how much compost I make it's never enough.

Comment

• Picked about 40kilos of olives, i feel it now i have sat down.

sigpic

Comment

• Harvested four beetroot and two Mooli. Mooli is to go with my leg-o-mince for supper and beetroot is to replemish an empty pickle jar!
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Spent a few hours at the plot, cleared out one of the greenhouse borders and planted up the winter lettuce and spring onion seedlings. Sowed more seed to see what will grow over the winter. Harvested leek, BNS, red cabbage and the last of the peppers and tomatoes. Cape Gooseberries are just starting to ripen and taste amazing.

Sat in front of the log burner with a cuppa and designed next years layout in my head
                            My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Been down to the plot for the first time in a few days. Cleared Tomato plants out of small polytunnel - they were still fairly healthy and producing, but I want to get the beds ready for next year and still got plenty of Toms in the large PT.
                              Gave the Strawberry beds a haircut and potted up some more Strawberry runners.
                              Last edited by skeggijon; 17-11-2015, 10:45 AM.
                              What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                              Pumpkin pi.

Comment

• Finally got around to transplanting out the spinach, over 50 of them can't wait to harvest that.
                                Also some spinach beet, couple of beetroot, iceberg lettuce and a couple of cabbages.

Finally finished making back doors for the PT, that is so over due, just need to hang them now.
                                Never got around to planting any seeds, never enough time in the day

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X