Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Now I have to look at the seeds and hide my credit card
    Much cheaper to just buy the book ... although looks like I had the last one at a knock-down 2nd hand price; Sorry about that ...
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

^^^^ Why did you post that NG? Now I have to look at the seeds and hide my credit card
      What goes around, comes around (encouraging seedaholics )

The downside to oriental veg is there is a lot in the brassica family so not great for seedsaving for homegrowers

Comment

To be honest, I have lots of oriental type seeds that never get sown. They don't quite fit in with my normal sowing pattern. OK, its a random pattern but so many are sown after midsummer - and I forget

Comment

To be honest, I have lots of oriental type seeds that never get sown. They don't quite fit in with my normal sowing pattern. OK, its a random pattern but so many are sown after midsummer - and I forget
          Sssssssssssssssh!.........snap

Good intentions and all that

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            I keep hanging my nose over that book but not bought it yet as I know it'll also lead to loads of additional planting options too which I haven't really got the time for
            It's looking like it'll be one of the most expensive library books I ever borrowed...
            My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

Originally posted by hamamelis View Post
              It's looking like it'll be one of the most expensive library books I ever borrowed...
              That's why I'm not getting it

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

i have resisted buying it because i have too many seeds as it is. my new years resolution is to sow those that are more than a couple years old and pop them in somewhere if they germinate and foist them on others. I dont do so well with some of the orientals. They tend to bolt, particularly the mooli

Comment

Originally posted by dandalady View Post
                  I don't do so well with some of the orientals. They tend to bolt, particularly the mooli
                  You don't say exactly which ones you mean (apart from mooli) but a lot of orientals are long day length plants so if they are planted before mid summer they will bolt. I think mooli bolts if stressed.
                  "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Having read the first 20 pages of Joy Larkcom's "Oriental Vegetables" I'm now an expert on bolting

I previously thought it was day length, but Joy says (mainly with respect to those that are members of the Brassica family):

Single most important factor is low temperatures both during germination and early stages of growth (which leads to the formation of flowers rather than leaves). "Young plants need to 'clock up' a certain number of heat units to prevent bolting. Once this has been done they can be subjected to lower temperatures without damage"

#2 Day length. Greater tendency, in many species, to bolt if day length is longer than 12-14 hours, thus greatest risk in Spring / early Summer.

#3 Genetic factors. Thus sowing varieties selectively bred can reduce / avoid this problem.

#4 Stress - including transplanting shock, lack of water, overwatering or sudden temperature change (oriental Brassicas are shallow rooted so do need little-and-often watering)

Joy recommends:

Raise plants in propagator / greenhouse etc. and then plant out.

Germinate seed at 22C (ideal), but not lower than 18C

If low temperatures forecast provide protection.

Choose bolt-resistant varieties

Grow cut-and-come-again Brassica varieties early in the year, and headed varieties later.
                    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Very interesting Kristen - explains perfectly why my pak choi sown outside in spring bolted and the ones I grew indoors in pots in summer and planted out later didn't.

Would be helpful if the seed packet mentioned some of the above instead of just saying:
                      "Sow March to July, every 3 weeks" and "Sow 1/2in deep in rows 15in apart"
                      Last edited by Penellype; 01-01-2015, 09:43 AM.
                      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X