No announcement yet.

What's your favourite chilli variety?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Lemon aka Lemon Drop, and Thai Dragon, are my favourites.

Hot Lemon the plant is reliable, consistant, and tolerates cold better than most making it a solid choice for overwintering. Some degree of support is essential though.
    Hot Lemon the chilli is a deep, butter yellow when ripe. It's not that hot making it very versatile, and the flavour is pronounced but not overpowering - in my opinion.
    It suits all the usual methods of preservation (particularly recommended for freezing).

Thai Dragon the plant is reliable, well structured, crops prolifically, and is another great choice for overwintering.
    Thai Dragon the chilli is a letterbox red when ripe. Flavour is very good. Great in oriental dishes, though I quite like it on pizza.
    Particularly recommended for drying.

These are some flakes and powders made earlier this year from last seasons crop.
    I had six jars of various concoctions; these two are left. Yellow flakes are Hot Lemon. Red finer ground blend is Thai Dragon and a few others
    I add a teaspoon or so to most things.

Next year I'm growing facing heaven and hot fish chillies to see what they are like.
    Sparrow, I grew Hot Fish this year. I haven't tried any yet - the crop is strung up and drying - but they apparently make a great seasoning for fish dishes (hence the name).
    They look great on the plant too. One of the few chillies I've come across that go a true brown during the ripening process (they're red when fully ripe).

Attached Files
    Last edited by Philthy; 13-11-2014, 12:50 AM. Reason: Picture not right

Comment

Thanks for that, they look fab.

Lemon Drops aren't 'that hot'...pah! Plenty hot for me, and the girls at work who get my surpluses.
      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Lemon Drop is one of my favourites. Plenty hot enough for me too. It has nice bushy plants that get loaded with chillis, and I like the distinctive taste that goes along with the heat. I can use them fresh, either green or yellow, chopped up in stir fries and other dishes. Then the ripe yellow ones dry easily for storage, and I grind them to a powder in a coffee grinder when i want to use them.

Another advantage is that it's a different species from all the rest of my peppers (Capsicum baccatum) so I don't need to isolate it for seed saving. But that might not be an advantage for long because I'm looking out for other C. baccatums to try.

I also have a very nice strain of yellow Cayenne from a Czech seed company. They are small neat plants and very productive. Very decorative too after the Chillis turn yellow. And they are hotter than red Cayennes. Just about right for me.

Another one I really like is Long Green Buddha which I got from an HSL seed swap. Not as hot as the first two, and not as unusual, but it grows very well for me, with nice looking plants that that produce lots of medium-sized smooth pointed chillis that ripen from green to red.
        Last edited by Zelenina; 13-11-2014, 05:49 AM. Reason: answer enhancement

Comment

I also like lemon drop.

I grew it this year, for the first time.

The pods make a fantastic chilli sauce.

Comment

I like Scotch bonnets, I'm down to two plants that are 4 year old so next year I'm branching out and sowing something new not sure what yet so this threads handy.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I like the varieties of habaneros and scotch bonnets, red, yellow and orange.
              Wish we had just a bit more sun and longer growing season to really get the best out of them.
              I really like the look of the Big Sun Habanero, and have got plants with a few pods on. Just hoping at least one will ripen enough to produce viable seeds before we run out of time.

There's a good reason the Cayenne types are popular and widely available, good all round chillis. I like Ring of Fire for being particularly early, and Joe's Long for being particularly...err...long.

Anything mexican style, or with cheese, and the Jalapeno is my choice.

Comment

After ChallockChilliFest I've got a whole lot more to try...though some of them have turned out to be F1, which I try to avoid.

Still not managed to get Fish or Facing Heaven to grow - lots of fungus gnats in my compost this year and they ate the roots.
                http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I have to admit when Red Savina (500'000SHU) turned up in the viability seed I thought I would grow it and that is it. However, I now realise that I actually quite like hot and my 2 plants have cropped really well without getting to big. I have done choc. chilli cake (which considering all the chillis that went in was really mild), nigellas jelly and chilli and tom jam.

Red Demon is also lovely, only 100'000SHU, but again it is a manageable size plant, heavy croppy, pretty delicate-ness to it. No need to deseed this one at all, as the seeds are tiny.

Comment

I came from a place from where our farmer's chillis are renowned globally and exported to Asia, Canada, and Europe

I prefer to use fresh green chillis and freeze as many . as I can not grow kilo's of dry or ripened chilli's here to meet our day to day usage.

I never deseed chilli how hot it is also.when you add chilli on a whole with out chopping , it wouldn't add any sharp heat to dish, instead it tastes alot better.

being first year I have choosen to grow just 2 types of chilli's, cayane and anaheim from asda. I

just an example of how many chilli's we may add to one dish (tamarind rice)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ch...63ui9pLcf7M%3A

Comment

Originally posted by Chris11 View Post
                      I really like the look of the Big Sun Habanero, and have got plants with a few pods on. Just hoping at least one will ripen enough to produce viable seeds before we run out of time.
                      In it's first year? That should over winter, give it a go, you'll get a great crop in year 2.

Comment

I just grow Hungsrian Hot Wax, Cayanne and Padron.
                        Over the years I have grown different varieties but they always end up in the bin as we consider them too hot.

And when your back stops aching,
                        And your hands begin to harden.
                        You will find yourself a partner,
                        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

My faves this year have been Ring of Fire, Prairie Fire, Scotch Bonnet and Jalapeno 'Hot Shakira'. I love pickled Jalapeno and can happily spend a night in by myself, watching the telly while sat in my underpants with a jar of home pickled Onions on one side of me and pickled Jalapenoes on the other
                          Ring of Fire

Prairie Fire

Jalapeno 'Hot Shakira'
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by skeggijon; 10-10-2015, 07:21 PM.
                          What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                          Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X