Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting my kale to produce through winter ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disease, pesticide wind drift, contaminated soil, bad batch (doubtful).
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I wondered if it might be harvesting too much (or the leaves dropping) so the plant cannot get the energy it needs to keep growing?
      Last edited by PyreneesPlot; 01-02-2016, 06:43 PM.
      Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

I reckon they're just suffering due to the bad weather Marb - the rain has probably washed all the nutrients out of the soil, the roots are sitting in water, and we've had precious few bright days. They're probably about to run to seed as well.
        He-Pep!

Comment

Mine have started to produce flower shoots Marb. The warm winter hasn't helped.
          http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Well I have never seen the like of plants tapering like that but hey, that's me all over. I always seem to get the strange, mysterious things you can't quite put your finger on what it is. It's the same when ever I buy any new electronic gear. I always get the duff model with something wrong. You wouldn't believe the camera gear I have had to return recently.

Comment

I think its very easy to assume that everyone else manages to grow everything successfully, because people tend to post about what goes well, or about specific problems, looking for an answer. In my experience for every one of these

you probably get one of these

or these

or these

which you shrug your shoulders over and try again.

Picture 1: Spring cabbage Spring Hero, growing nicely.
              Picture 2: Spinach Amazon full of holes - I forgot to put copper tape round the pot.
              Picture 3: Leeks sown in March, some of which have yet to reach "pencil thickness".
              Picture 4: Mispoona, which has collapsed and died for no apparent reason.
              Attached Files
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Spot on, Penellype. I doubt that anyone here has 100% success - and if they say they do, I won't believe them
                The only kales alive here are the perennial ones - maybe Marb could consider growing those?
                Last edited by veggiechicken; 02-02-2016, 12:39 PM.

Comment

^^^^^^Have to agree, my kale is very late this year but it's my fault forgot to sow seed, remembered 6 weeks later.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I mentioned earlier that you might grow perennial kale like Daubenton. It saves the annual round of sowing and nuturing as its always available.
                    Here's an article https://scottishforestgarden.wordpre...g-and-cooking/

Comment

Marb Chill matey I have still to harvest a single leaf of my curly kale just one of those years...........

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

My kale is now starting to flower, too. And the plants are largely lying down because the mole has tunnelled right underneath the plants and a little gust of wind blew them down. At least the slugs don't have to worry about climbingall the way up the stems this spring
                        Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          I mentioned earlier that you might grow perennial kale like Daubenton. It saves the annual round of sowing and nuturing as its always available.
                          Thanks. Hey, were are the other posts here ? They seem to have vanished.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            Thanks but I can't find any for sale as seeds on Google. Hey, were are the other posts here ? They seem to have vanished.

Comment

I PM'd you, Marb, to explain why the other posts had been deleted.

Comment

Well it's mid March, the sun is up longer and yet my Kale are still diminishing in size . It doesn't make sense
                                Last edited by Marb67; 11-03-2016, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X