Aquadulce Claudia Broad Bean

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacob View Post
    Or b) try grown in big pots in the greenhouse, booting them out when you want the space. I've dabbled with a) and regularly do b) getting myself a nice early crop of broad beans, sown 3-4 to a planter.
    I'd do this, Marb - if Jacob can get a crop in a big pots in a cold greenhouse in Fife, then I would think that you have every chance.

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
      What VC said about varieties ^^^^^ plus make sure you keep the greenhouse door closed, mice love a bean snack particularly in the cold months
      I'll second that. I planted 40 Aquadulce Claudia in the greenhouse which had sprouted and just peeping above the compost. Now they have all gone. The sprouted parts are lying on the compost and there are just holes where the seeds were. Grrr. Although I don't think keeping the door closed will keep them out as I am sure that the mice will find a way in somehow!

Comment

I don't get mice and we also have a cat. What I am more afraid of (as happened in spring) are the beans rotting in the pot after watering to start them into sprout mode. With the added cold this is sure to happen.
        Last edited by Marb67; 12-11-2014, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
          What I am more afraid of (as happened in spring) are the beans rotting in the pot after watering to start them into sprout mode. With the added cold this is sure to happen.
          I think that you need to keep the pots quite dry. In fact, I would be tempted to soak the beans overnight in cool water, then plant them in pots in dry (unwatered) compost.

I think that there will be enough residual moisture in the compost to allow the beans to sprout and get roots out. Once the beans have sprouted and have leaves, it's easier to see when they want a drink.

Comment

Ok, thanks hazel.

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
              I don't get mice and we also have a cat. What I am more afraid of (as happened in spring) are the beans rotting in the pot after watering to start them into sprout mode. With the added cold this is sure to happen.
              Keep them in the warm until they have germinated then move them outside.

Comment

I haven't yet got round to sowing them. Would today be too late in the cold greenhouse ?

Comment

No today's good

Comment

I feel a bit of an idiot because it's 'Aquadulce Claudia' I have sown, not Robin Hood. I remember looking at Robin Hood in the shop and forgot I changed my mind in the end. I haven't looked at the packet since I bought them hence the mistake.

Oh well, they are now sown in the cold greenhouse in moist compost BUT no watering for fear of rotting.

Comment

Ha, signs of getting old Marb! Personally I think you will get better results with the Aquadulce although a November sowing is a little bit of hit and miss and really does depend on the weather during Winter. I've tried several times with November sowings, some good, some bad though I now prefer to germinate in a plastic tub indoors during February, pot up and leave to grow on in the GH until they are big enough to plant out.

Comment

What if I bring them in the house now until they sprout ?

Comment

Yes, they will germinate quicker if you bring them in. Then move to GH and gradually acclimatise them for their outside spot.

Comment

Sorry to be late to this discussion. I live in Surrey one village over from RHS Wisley, being a wheelchair gardener I use pts, raised beds, those willow surrounded bags, anything I can add some compost to really!

I have found that the Aquadulce Claudia or Sutton, both grow really well if planted before the grown is too cold, if I can get my hand in and dig a hole it is not too cold! If it needs a trowel and I need assistance, then too cold. My expert method of gardening works wonders - I just put them where I want them, and let them get on with it. I do not bother to water, as I assume nature will do that, I do not cuddle and read stories to them, I just leave them to work out if I planted them the right way up.

The only year that this extensively tested method failed, was the one where I was being kind. Two winters ago it was so cold and I was covering the fruit trees which had decided to flower with minus degree temps, so I used the extra bit of fleece to cover the broad beans. Yup that year the little blighters did not thrive at all. They were sad little plants, who obviously felt sorry for themselves, they did not flower well and then they even managed to find some blackfly! I am lucky and they tend to miss my garden normally. All this is to say, throw them in treat them rough and see what happens.
                            Hoping this helps.

Comment

Well so far planted out late Feb and they are doing well. Starting to get those tiny holes (that end up making plant and pods distorted and bubbly) in the smaller flowers forming on the base of the plant. Shall I pull them off so the top pods have more energy or should I leave them ?

Attached Files
                              Last edited by Marb67; 25-04-2015, 11:58 AM.

Comment

They look good Marb. I'd leave them alone.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X