Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At the risk of talking waffle - cabbages and rhubarb!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post
    we seem particularly prone to cabbage root fly on the lotty but a collar made from rhubarb leaf on each plant certainly does the trick. Whether synthetic collars would work
    as effectively I couldn't say, the rhubarb leaves are there and they're free, what's not to like
    The rhubarb leaf collars work because they impose a physical barrier around the plant. I make the collars from bits of cardboard (also free and bio-degradable). The rhubarb is completely irrelevant, any physical barrier to stop the female laying her eggs close to the plant will work.

Comment

[QUOTE=Snadger;1294392]
      Yes I've tried it against CLUBROOT and it worked. Oxalic acid is the active ingredient and its been proven in trials to work! (No idea where it was trialled, but it was an official body)
      Snadger that gives me another way to tackle the flatworm I will boil up some leaves then spray it over the garden, thanks for the idea (and if it works a thousand thanks)
      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

[QUOTE=rary;1294468]
        Originally posted by Snadger View Post
        Yes I've tried it against CLUBROOT and it worked. Oxalic acid is the active ingredient and its been proven in trials to work! (No idea where it was trialled, but it was an official body)
        Snadger that gives me another way to tackle the flatworm I will boil up some leaves then spray it over the garden, thanks for the idea (and if it works a thousand thanks)
        Clubroot is a fungal problem where the oxalic acid in rhubarb acts as a fungiscide. Not sure it will act as an insecticide against flatworm? Even if it did, it certainly wouldn't be a selective insecticide so could harm other creepy crawlies that you want to keep.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

[QUOTE=Snadger;1294510]
          Originally posted by rary View Post
          , it certainly wouldn't be a selective insecticide so could harm other creepy crawlies that you want to keep.
          Thanks for that reminder, although I have used a vinegar solution over parts of the garden without any noticeable effects other than no flatworms, so will try it out.
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post
            we seem particularly prone to cabbage root fly on the lotty but a collar made from rhubarb leaf on each plant certainly does the trick. Whether synthetic collars would work
            as effectively I couldn't say, the rhubarb leaves are there and they're free, what's not to like
            Now that's a good idea!- why don't I ever think logically like that? :/
            You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

One guy on out allotment site swears by encasing the brassica stem in siver paper/cooking foil.The theory is the CRF lay there pupa next to the plant but they only succeed in banging there heads off silver foil when they try to burrow into the stem. Shame you can't get thin copper foil to encase the stems as this would keep the gastropods off as well!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X