No announcement yet.

are raised beds a good idea

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 7 raised beds in my garden 4 foot by 3 foot high by 2 and a half foot wide.They are a great height and width for no bending or stretching to reach the far side as they run around the fence line.As the soil sinks a little every year I top up with used compost and the compost from my compost bin never had any problems growing in raised beds.

Comment

I rent my veg patch from the chapel next door. I had half of the plot. Then the guy who had the other half gave up so I took that on. It was all grass so, to save a lot of digging, I made a series of raised beds from pallets and scaffold planks, dropped them on to the grass and half filled them. I have a friend who drops in a trailer load of horse manure from time to time so gradually I have been filling them with a mix from my compost bins. What I like about this arrangement is that I walk on grass between the beds so am able to keep my shoes fairly clean when the weather is wet. In respect of the produce, I have had some good results - more successes than failures. As you can guess - I am in favour of raised beds!

Comment

Originally posted by DannyRam View Post
        I rent my veg patch from the chapel next door. I had half of the plot. Then the guy who had the other half gave up so I took that on. It was all grass so, to save a lot of digging, I made a series of raised beds from pallets and scaffold planks, dropped them on to the grass and half filled them. I have a friend who drops in a trailer load of horse manure from time to time so gradually I have been filling them with a mix from my compost bins. What I like about this arrangement is that I walk on grass between the beds so am able to keep my shoes fairly clean when the weather is wet. In respect of the produce, I have had some good results - more successes than failures. As you can guess - I am in favour of raised beds!
        But have you have ever seen the film Poltergeist though....
        .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X