No announcement yet.

are raised beds a good idea

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My raised beds are made from those hinged stacking things they use on big lorries. They've been in ages and no sign of rotting as yet. I reckon they are specially treated to do the job they were intended to do. I'd be lost without them. It helps when you have a mate who owns a big dismantlers yard and drops me them off for free.

Comment

I think that one of the best things about raised beds has been missed: they're fun! When I built mine I decided to go big, and I don't regret it. I could get a fair few bodies in them, and still have space for vegetables if I was that way inclined!

Because they were solid it then meant that when I wanted earlier salads, all I had to do was knock together some additional framework and with hinged doors I had a raised bed cold frame type affair.

I appreciate that some people don't like building things, but I'd rather build than buy. I built my own greenhouse because I thought it would be a laugh, and building the beds was still enjoyable when I drilled through my thumb!

The crops by far outgrow anything in the ground or at the allotment, and I manage to be growing something in the beds all year round. Winter salads grow slowly, but come the first sign of sunshine in late February I'll have lettuce aplenty.

Attached Files
      The Idiot Gardener
      Five acres of idiocy: an idiot's journey to the heart of smallholding darkness!

Comment

Originally posted by hamamelis View Post
        I'm hoping so!

I'm in the process of building some beds, surrounded by old roof tiles.
        What kind of roof tiles? I haven't had much success using tiles in the veg plot. Clay tiles split easily when upended and the slate ones that I used to section off herbs in my herb bed did the same. They both left horrible fragments in the soil.

Comment

Let's face it - they're optional
          Either you like them or you don't - and I admit they do look tidy. Obviously they help with drainage on some soils or added depth on shallow ones.
          I still have narrow beds, and only walk on the paths - but don't have wooden edges round them.

Comment

I've got raised beds in part because my plot's on a slope west to east and also because it's heavy clay and boggy. If it were flat I don't think I would bother. It certainly costs more - though half the wood I used was free.
            http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I have several raised beds and find them to be a boon, Mine are about 10 inches high and that saves me bending a lot. Apart from that I have better control over the soil, weeding is a doddle and I find it more orgaised and tidy. The down side is they do reqire more watering. I have made mine from decking boards and have made them to a standard size. This means i can use 2, 3 or 4 depending on what I am growing. For instance for carrots I use 4. I have small blocks added to each one to stop them sliding off each other. by using standard sizes I can also interchange the frames carrying anti nasty mesh as I rotate the crops. I dont find slugs hiding next to the boards. I also think they could easily be converted into a coffin when I finaly peg out saving my wife a fortune.
              photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I've just finished mine today with wood recycled from the shed that I demolished, it probably won't last long but I just enjoyed the task in hand. It's where my roots are going next year!

Comment

Originally posted by skeggijon View Post
                  I'll try to take a pic this week - don't have any that give a clear view at the moment.
                  Basically I make 4 stakes, screw my lengths of timber to these, ensuring that I leave a decent amount of stake at the bottom (I leave 6inches), which is then hammered into the ground.
                  I was a bit OCD at first about it being totally level and using a spirit level, but now I just go by eye lol.
                  I don't bother hammering in so my corners are just flush with the bottom of the bed rather than staked (the whole things is only about 6" deep so more edged than raised). The frame is then rested on the soil. Gradually they've sunk an inch or so in but could be easily moved if necessary. The beds are all 4' wide and either 10' or 6' long.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

The problem with high raised beds is the amount of compost/soil needed to fill em. I am very cost conscious (tight).
                    Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

You don't have to do it all at once...I dig mine once a year because I want to. It's very satisfying. And adding barrows of muck at the same time does raise the level considerably, even if it settles back a bit later on.
                      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Personally, I'm a lover of raised beds. I find it just keeps everything as tidy as I want it. With regards to filling them, just treat them as compost bins one at a time & cover with a layer of soil or manure & plant into them. Mine are approx 12" tall and have managed to fill 5 out of 12 so far. Still lots of veg waste, shredded paper & leaves to collect to start the next bed.
                        Last edited by Bigmallly; 27-10-2014, 05:57 PM.
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Yep! A lover of raised beds too!

Tidy, organised, dead easy to weed! Although I don't grow weeds! ......

And I just find controlling the soil content so much more manageable! weather you want it free draining "Incorporating grit" or proper fertile "Incorporating manure" for whatever crop you wanna grow!

I wouldn't be without mine!
                          "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

I have no choice on a sandy sloping site,water just runs away not wetting below ground to any depth,so all raised beds on what used to be an orchard 4 years ago. I have reclaimed slabs,timber and made a mini allotment top of my garden. After all who needs 6 cooking apple trees!!

Comment

I am half way to being all raised beds as it stops me ending headfirst into the soil as I have not much balance(think those dogs ar... they sell in the garden centres) so I don't like the taste or want OH coming out to the veg and seeing a butt sticking up in the air, seriously NOT COOL, as my grandson would say and the parsnips have got 3ft of topsoil and now its plus 24ins raised beds, I can sit on the side of one while working on the next...simples..

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
                                I am half way to being all raised beds as it stops me ending headfirst into the soil as I have not much balance(think those dogs ar... they sell in the garden centres) so I don't like the taste or want OH coming out to the veg and seeing a butt sticking up in the air,
                                That reminds me of a quote from Billy Connolly "it gives your wife somewhere to park the bike"
                                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X