No announcement yet.

Everyones must grow?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My number one would have to be courgettes - I use them in most things and not having to buy them has probably saved me a small fortune this year. All off one plant as well!

Closely followed by peas, broad beans, kale, chard and garlic, all of which I grew too few of this year and will be at least doubling my plantings of next year. Spinach and spinach beet are also really good and handy, though I went a bit overboard this summer and had 8 plants on the go at once - a bit too much spinach for just me!

Edit: How could I forget winter squash?? I'll be growing at least 8 varieties of those and I'm considering getting an allotment just for them!
    Last edited by cristalfiona; 12-10-2015, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Tomatoes, potatoes and peas are SWMBO's standing orders.
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Comfrey. Borage and Radish.
        I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Having read through this thread it seems obvious that some plants just don't grow well in some peoples plots while they do well in others. I am plagued by mildew and I cant grow courgettes, peas, outdoor cucumbers, squash and several other things despite choosing so called resistant varieties. So you have grow what does do well, and like that.
          photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Beetroot is my MUST.

I had a poor 2nd year on my Allotment due to having to go back to work full time . . . but I still managed to grow a few rows of potatoes and of course a couple of rows of Beetroot, so for me it's got to be Beetroot
            My allotment in pictures

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
              If I was only allowed to grow one thing........gees it's a hard one but I would have to go for Sprouts, I think they are amazing plants.
              is that the amazing musical plants that seem to get tummies working overtime?

Comment

Runner beans and sweetcorn for me. Spuds and tomatoes for hubby
                Nannys make memories

Comment

Tomatoes for sure - we eat them all the time. Out of things I've grown this year then also turnips. Wish I'd grown more of them as there were not nearly enough and they were fast and relatively easy to grow - just need to remember to net them much sooner next year.

On next year's wishlist to grow and eat are runner beans because they are delicious. We were given a load by a friend who has an allotment and they'd had a bumper year.
                  LOVE growing food to eat in my little town back garden. Winter update: currently growing overwintering onions, carrots, lettuce, chard, salad leaves, kale, cabbage, radish, beetroot, garlic, broccoli raab, some herbs.

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
                    is that the amazing musical plants that seem to get tummies working overtime?
                    It's the only thing that makes Christmad bearable......................
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

hello
                      I grow what's easy and less expensive than market place=shallots; Fr beans;golden courgettes(sweeter) plenty of herbs for seasonning and herbal teas;oak leaves salad bowl type; baby carrots andturnips+ beetroot in raised beds. Pink potatoes in a bin ! and artichokes near my palm tree. I Would also love sweetcorn ; broccoli and kale eated to the core by pigeons; marrows and such take too much space.

Comment

I'd say my must grow's are tomatoes.

I love chilli peppers but have had limited success with them in the past. I'll have a better set up for them this next year so fingers crossed it should be a good one.

Lastly I feel I should mention cucumbers as they seem to be my unlucky grow. Previous years I've either lost entire cucumber crops to freak weather conditions or an army of slugs or some combination there of. This is another veg where I'm really hoping for a good year next time round as I love fresh cucumber on sandwiches.

Comment

Autumn Crown squashes, Monarch celeriac, Swift sweetcorn, Charlotte spuds and then everything else, and I mean everything.

Comment

I love picking lettuce, sorrel, cabbage, cavelo Nero and psb.
                            The first radish, beetroot and spuds always put a smile on my face too.

I was only thinking today that in less than 3 weeks the days will be getting longer and the growing season will soon be upon us again!
                            Just got to see the winter season through first of course!
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Yups for me, the first new spuds are a highlight and the biggest lowlight is the last of the homegrown toms. It won't surprise you lot to know that my must grow is the humble onion. Heaps of what I cook starts off with sweating down a chopped un
                              Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 03-12-2015, 05:25 PM. Reason: speeling mistook

Comment

Potatoes. So far have only tried Charlotte and Desiree. All the kids in my family love to dig then up and it's worth growing them just to see the delight and excitement on their faces.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X