No announcement yet.

TV full of poncy items.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monty Don is doing a new series on BBC2 starting tomorrow night 7pm called Big Dreams Small Spaces which is specifically about people with small gardens. I saw part of an interview with him on some program or other that I came across the other day and he said something about always advising people with a small garden to dig up the lawn and grow veg. I'm looking forward to watching it.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I'd not heard of that program Penellype thanks for the heads up
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thanks Penellype. Wonder whether these programmes will meet the OP's needs
        BBC Two - Big Dreams Small Spaces, Episode 1

Comment

Edible flowers are OK , I classify them as Veg.

Flower in veg plots are weeds to my mind. Although I must admit I did get some pretty little blue violas pop up in my veg plot. I didn't have the heart to hoe them in.

I think they were violas as I don't normally recognize flowers. Normally it's a case of are they veg, no then they are weeds, hoe hoe hoe.

The Veg program link look good, will peruse when I have time.

Thanks
          Jimmy
          Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
            Edible flowers are OK , I classify them as Veg.

Flower in veg plots are weeds to my mind. Although I must admit I did get some pretty little blue violas pop up in my veg plot. I didn't have the heart to hoe them in.

I think they were violas as I don't normally recognize flowers. Normally it's a case of are they veg, no then they are weeds, hoe hoe hoe.
            Take it that you don't believe in companion planting or encouragement of beneficial wildlife?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
              Take it that you don't believe in companion planting or encouragement of beneficial wildlife?
              Don't know about these concepts, sounds a bit new to me and possibly a bit ...

Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                Don't know about these concepts, sounds a bit new to me and possibly a bit ...
                A bit poncy? Is that what you mean Jimmy? Go on, say it!

Comment

I'm on episode 14 now of The Allotment.
                  It's fantastic.

(And we can now watch youtube on our telly!)

Comment

Companion planting don't need to be complicated. I sow white turnips as catch crop with my cabbages as the smell deters cabbage whites. Nasturtium's attract black fly from my beans while fox gloves bring the pollinating bees to my garden and help the beans to set.... Lots of things work well for us veg gardeners.. have a look at this site: Companion planting guide - The Gardeners Calendar
                    Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

The Allotment - YouTube

All 15 episodes together in one playlist.
                      Really enjoyed that very much!

Comment

I have the 3 disks,paid £16 something when they first came out,good viewing
                        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I was surprised at the number of replies.
                          From this I deduce

1) People do think we need better Veg/Allotment coverage on TV.
                          2) There are alternate views to my "tunnel vision" on Veg.
                          3) Perhaps I should have used a better word than "poncy".

Words that spring to mind are .... ( well perhaps best not listed )
                          As per an old adage "if you can't say something nice then say nothing at all".
                          Or more briefly and to the point, keep your gob shut!
                          I will try and do that.

Thanks
                          Jimmy

Comment

Ha, I agree on 1,2 &3 though it's been an interesting read and I'm very much looking forward to watching the Allotment when a have a little bit of me time this week!

Comment

When you stir the pot you never know what will happen, Jimmy.
                              Personally, I think the great thing about the vine is that we all have our own thoughts and ideas. Judging by the replies this has been a very though provoking topic.
                              We don't always agree with other peoples ideas on gardening, but we can learn from them and also adapt what we do to make our gardens better places to work and relax in.

Out of all the homes that surround me, I am the only one who grows veg. Its not easy as we live on a hill and the gardens have all have a double slope (east to west and north to south) on heavy clay. I suppose the other residents think that grass is far less work.
                              I do, though, grow some flowers, mostly in tubs and troughs and have some shrubs.
                              I've developed a wild flower patch and woody cuttings heap for insects in a place where nowt will grow. None of this interferes with my growing veg, and does help keep the garden in balance.
                              Roger
                              Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Agree that this has been a v interesting discussion.

Also dead chuffed to have been introduced to The Allotment which I've bookmarked to watch later.
                                My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X