No announcement yet.

Perennial Tomato Experiment!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No no no Penellype. My fault, I didn't really explain. The blighted ones are long gone! You are absolutely right. The minute I saw blight they were out and burnt. No way do I want anything blighted anywhere near my plot!

Comment

Originally posted by VolesAteMyPeas View Post
      No no no Penellype. My fault, I didn't really explain. The blighted ones are long gone! You are absolutely right. The minute I saw blight they were out and burnt. No way do I want anything blighted anywhere near my plot!
      Thank goodness for that
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Unless you live in an area with a very warm climate, I see nothing to be gained by a costly overwintering! (apart from being able to say you've done it!)

I know, I know I'm turning frumpy, but you get more sense as you get older! (Apart from VC that is!)
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

You are a Frumpy Grump, or is it a Grumpy Frump?
          It doesn't have to be costly, you just bring them under cover/indoors, and hope for the best - so there

Comment

I suppose what is to be gained is a very early start. If the ones i have chopped down come to life again they will have the benefit of a fully developed root system. I am in a mostly frost free area (with notable exceptions) so i am hopeful.
            photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

It's not costly at all! They're sat on my windowsill. If they look like this in March, they'll have a headstart on any seedlings. Which I will also grow. If you don't try, you won't ever know!

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                I see nothing to be gained by a costly overwintering!
                Sorry Snadge but I see nothing costly by covering plants with a mulch/fleece/newspaper etc.
                Last edited by Bigmallly; 08-11-2014, 09:48 PM.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                  I suppose what is to be gained is a very early start. If the ones i have chopped down come to life again they will have the benefit of a fully developed root system. I am in a mostly frost free area (with notable exceptions) so i am hopeful.
                  A fully developed root system and no nutrients or organic matter left in the compost which has a growing seasons worth of pests and diseases in it!

There's no more growth left in mine now and we haven't even had a frost.

Deffo a costly business to try in this area as grow lights and heating would be a necessity.
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                    Sorry Snadge but I see nothing costly by covering plants with a mulch/fleece/newspaper etc.
                    Fair enough if you think they will survive, but that's deffo not enough protection in this neck of the woods!
                    Damp,cold,low light, winter weather is a perfect breeding ground for fungal problems to thrive, if nothing else.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by VolesAteMyPeas View Post
                      It's not costly at all! They're sat on my windowsill. If they look like this in March, they'll have a headstart on any seedlings. Which I will also grow. If you don't try, you won't ever know!
                      I salute your enthusiasm and wish you well.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        You are a Frumpy Grump, or is it a Grumpy Frump?
                        It doesn't have to be costly, you just bring them under cover/indoors, and hope for the best - so there
                        Mine are spent and as dead as Monty pythons parrot! Hope you don't keep flogging a dead parrot!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

You're just baiting us, Snadger Wait until spring, when we're picking luvly tomaties and yours are still little seedlings

Hope I don't have to eat my words, I'd rather eat tomaties

Comment

This is my family of perennial Shirley tomatoes as of today - I've just given them a trim and a feed:

There are 9 in all, the 3 on the left were grown from side shoots from plants from this year's seeds. These have had one lot of fruit so far. Not sure what is up with the one on the far left - not looking great, but I'm giving it a chance. The one 4th from the left is grown from a seed this year. This has fruited twice and has some flower buds and one flower opened today. The 2 in the centre were side shoots from last year's plants, these have no sideshoots showing at the bottom (yet) but are responsible for all of the red fruit in the background - their 2nd crop so far.

The 2 just right of centre were last year's seeds, these have already overwintered once. They are getting a bit straggly, but have a couple of green fruit on them which I will allow to ripen. I was going to throw these out, but there are some healthy looking shoots showing at the bottom, so they are having a stay of execution.

Close up of the bottom of one of the old plants showing the cut stems and a new shoot. The old stems become covered in root buds - this is normal:

The one on the right is a sideshoot from last year's plants that I rooted very early in the year. This one is on its 3rd flush of stems. Its not easy to see but it has reached the top of its cane and has some flower buds. The plant on the far right is basil, which will be gone soon.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Penellype; 09-11-2014, 03:32 PM.
                            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I think I overwintered a cutting once. I don't think it did any better and the others caught it up. In fact I think it was a bit more rubbish than the others so maybe Snadger is right. Having said that one of our black cherries has some volunteers seedlings - well plants actually - around its base and it has fresh armpit growth which has started to flower. It's ever so confused. I may try and overwinter the small plants and take the armpit as a cutting. Just for the crack.

Comment

Just to confirm, this is merely an experiment for me, if they don't show any signs of growth in the spring they will be pulled up, I have plenty of seed.
                                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                                -----------------------------------------------------------
                                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X