No announcement yet.

Perennial Tomato Experiment!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I am going off topic here but if I dug up my peppers and reported them and brought them in the house over winter, will they start producing more peppers? (Sorry if it sounds stupid)

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
    Carrie

Comment

I was planning to take cuttings of my Tomatoes at the end of this season, with a view to them being next year's starter-plants ... but mine are covered with whitefly and the leaves look in bad shape, so think I would prefer not to risk carrying over any pathogens ...
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Mine are in the tunnel borders so was just gonna lop them down at ground level or maybe just above, give them a dose of FBM & insulate with hay............nothing ventured, nothing gained.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Here's one I prepared earlier!

January 2014 - Shirley plants sown in March 2013, on the sitting room windowsill:

The 2 plants on the right in the above photo are on the right in this one, taken in April:

Here are the same 2 plants (on the right) in July:

And again at the start of September - beginning to look just a little tired:

What I have done here is allow the plants to grow until they are in danger of touching the ceiling, which is 1 or 2 trusses, then pinch out the tops. I allow any low down sideshoots to develop but pinch out the higher up ones. When all the fruit on one branch has been harvested I cut it down to a low sideshoot.

The plants are in 3l pots and have not been repotted since last spring. They are fed occasionally. Tomato numbers are not huge (hardly surprising) and last winter was very mild, but it shows that it can be done.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Penellype; 12-09-2014, 12:14 PM. Reason: got left and right muddled up - doh!
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Cheers P, I was awaiting your input as it was your previous posts that inspired me to give it a go.........So, if it goes belly up, it's all your fault..............
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Mine are in a centrally heated room, which is rather different from an unheated greenhouse or tunnel. Will be very interesting to see how you get on.
              Last edited by Penellype; 12-09-2014, 02:14 PM.
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Count me in, I have a sweet millions cherry that I will overwinter, will it be ok in an unheated greenhouse?

Comment

Originally posted by treepixie View Post
                  will it be ok in an unheated greenhouse?
                  That's the difficult bit Try out in the greenhouse protected in some way - or inside on the windowledge, and keep pruning.....................

I think we're all trying different ways to keep them alive

Comment

I've got two spare plants growing in flower buckets one in the garden the others in the kitchen window so if I leave them both indoors over winter so I need to trim them or anything ?
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

No idea Bren, it's all new territory to me. Mine are staying in the tunnel bed, cut down to the ground, packed with straw & an upside down flower bucket on top. Hopefully that will keep old Jack away for a while.
                      Last edited by Bigmallly; 12-09-2014, 06:24 PM.

Comment

BM I'm doing that to a couple of plants in the GH just not sure about those two I've got in buckets.
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Try the same Bren, cut it down, fill an empty flower bucket with some insulation & pop it upside down on top.

Comment

You could try them on the windowledge, cut them down a bit, same as the overwinter peppers

Comment

I'm in on this one.
                              photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                                I've got two spare plants growing in flower buckets one in the garden the others in the kitchen window so if I leave them both indoors over winter so I need to trim them or anything ?
                                I let mine fruit all winter

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X