Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the worst pests and diseases on your plot?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My biggest pest is prolonged dry periods.........them watering cans get heavy after a while.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

My biggest pest this year is mealy aphids on my brassicas and not forgetting the badger which wrecked my polytunnel back in March.

Comment

Thanks everyone! *scurries off to write article*

L

Comment

Slugs are the worst pest on my plot.

My neighbour suffers from foxes who like digging in his fine tilth.

The cure for this is simple. Leave the soil as chunky clay and they leave it alone.
          Attached Files

Comment

Just looking through this thread and pleased to see that slugs is top of the list because this has been the worse year I can remember for them. Never seen so many on the plot before and I too have (regretfully) resorted to using slug pellets (organic ones so i feel a little less guilty).

We've also had patridges on our site for the first time ever. They have decimated lots of veg that aren't normally touched by pigeons therefore never get netted, such as peas. They also have a great knack of finding any however small gaps in netting to get to brasiccas, a lot smarter than your average pigeon!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
              I think the worst pest on my plot is me.
              I agree with Mikey. My plot is an ecosystem, and the only one who tries to break the rules of nature is me. The ecosystem is doing well at the moment, lots of food, a few weeds, the odd fungus, some happy pigeons dividing their time between eating slugs and brassicas...
              Attached Files

Comment

My ecosystem is going great guns. I have cabbage white caterpillars on the unprotected broccoli, blackfly on the nasturtiums, greenfly on the leeks, sawfly on the white currants and leaf miner in the pak choi. I have nameless brown caterpillars on the red mizuna, nematodes trying to eat the slugs and snails which are trying to eat the peas, blackbirds trying to get into the fruit cage and the neighbour's cat digging up the onions. I've a lovely population of worms in the compost bin and coloured butterflies, bees and hoverflies everywhere. I can cope with all of that.

So tonight I wander out to pick some strawberries to find the fruit cage full of wasps and half the strawberries eaten. I've ordered 2mx10m of veggiemesh to try to keep the beggars out.
                Last edited by Penellype; 22-07-2014, 06:27 PM.
                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Bit late for the article but flippin blight on my tomatoes and spuds......
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Blossom end rot on my toms.Very fed up! I think my GH is too hot so have moved half the crop outside and today for the first time for nearly a month I was not chucking diseased toms over the hedge! No not next door ,into the field!

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X