Cucamelon

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are they only the first few flowers?
    I've read that the male flowers take a while to appear, so they can't pollinate for a week or so.
    I've had a few of the first flowers/cucamelons fall off, but they seem to be bulking up now (about 1 week or so after they fell off).

I'm beginning to wish I had planted them outside as they towered my 4' wigwam in a week or so and are now in the process of jumping between them.
    Added to the 5 (was only expecting 3 out of the 5 to germinate) cucumbers I'm growing and the 9 tomato plants the little greenhouse looks like a jungle.

On the plus side I did try one of the fallen tiny cucamelons and they did taste really nice. Fingers crossed they keep bulking up.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMath88 View Post
      Haha it's going to be hard work pollinating by hand it's a jungle in there!
      Blimey...I though I was bad for cramming stuff in......

Comment

ChrisMath88 what is the hart shaped leaf & purple flower thing? It look really cool.

Comment

Heart shaped leaf is a cucumber and the purple flower is morning glory that grew up the cucumber stem

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

No problem

Comment

Me too!!

Hi Chris,

Have you had any further joy? I have 2 plants that are outside and they're doing the same as yours and dropping the small pods before they get to any real size. I thought it might be down to it getting too cool overnight but if I understand correctly yours are inside so I guess thats not the case...

Mo

Comment

Hi Mo,

I've got 4 plants and after tens of them falling off the males flowers have come out and it looks like it was a pollination thing as I've now spotted two that seem to be going on from the stage where the usually drop off, still not having great success but a few are making it now!

Attached Files

Comment

My plants are really messy, growing in all directions but I am reassured that this seems to be their normal habit.

Comment

Just a quick update, even though mine started to bulk up a little more after the male heads formed, they still carried on dropping off.
                      As a last ditched attempt I moved them from the greenhouse (figured they would like the heat like cucumbers and melons do) outside and within a few days they start to really swell.

Looks like they need to be outside and don't like shake pollination or even attempting to manually pollinate them with a feather.

If anyone else is having trouble with them dropping off and they are in a greenhouse or polytunnel. Move them outside ASAP and you'll be surprised how soon it they stop dropping off.

Comment

Last year I had four plants in a blow away greenhouse, this year I have two plants outside in a slightly shaded area. Although I had a fair few fruits and didn't notice any dropping off (it was a bit jungle like in they they could have dropped unnoticed) last year, this years crop is looking much more promising

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X