Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raddish bolted yet again, pathetic size again sigh......

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last year I tried to grow some radish pods and my plants refused to flower till November - never got any pods.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I really don't get the unpredictability of radishes. Last year I sowed an early container crop in the greenhouse, and got fairly good results. This year I have taken an identical approach, with very similar weather and they've all bolted.

I just can't figure out why sometime they immediately bolt, and sometimes they don't
      Garden Grower
      Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

It always surprises me when I see the problems people have with radishes. Its one crop that I've never had a problem with. Lettuce on the other hand......
        What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
        Pumpkin pi.

Comment

My lettuce grows fine Jon but my spring onions are always tiny.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by bazzaboy View Post
            Excellent thread, I’m hopeless with radish and have more or less given up but will try again using some of the tips listed here.
            ... so today I've planted two small troughs of radish - one trough of round radishes, one deeper trough of long radishes - used firm soil rather than fluffy compost, added bonemeal as advised, planted separately and much deeper than I would usually (about 30 seeds at 2" spacings, 1" depth), placed troughs in sunny spot. Intrigued to see what, if anything, happens..... TBC!

Comment

Great thread...I've enjoyed rereading it!

Never had probs with them either...strange isn't it?

I grow in the ground. Sprinkle into a shallow groove and gently over with soil.
              Fleece, then leave .the fleece comes off after they are about 1" high.
              Never had a problem.
              I have light , fine soil, slightly acid, very damp now , but they nay need a spot of watering once the fleece comes off.
              Grown with midday shade.

There are different varieties, and colours, I wonder if it's worth while trying out some different types which might do better for you?
              Just a thought?
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I can't grow them, either. This year mine have refused to grow beyond seedling stage. But lettuce grows like wildfire here. Perhaps lettuce and radishes are in some sort of feud we don't know about and each refuses to grow if the other is present
                My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

I cant grow radishes to save my life, given up trying for radishes and just grow for the edible seed pods

Comment

I think the pods taste much nicer than the actual radishes.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                      All's not lost leave your bolted radish to flower then eventually it will produce pods and I think they taste better than the radishes themselves.

Have a read about them here :-

Radish Seed Pods (and Some Pickles) | Garden Betty
                      Wow! Bren that looks like a MUST!!! I've never heard the like before!
                      The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men gang aft agley

Comment

Took all the advice above and still poor crop. Plenty of sun, not too hot as temp has been consistently low. Blood fish bone, firmed up, kept watered. Most radish that have started to form have small round nibbled holes in them. It's like rocket science :-(

Comment

I planted a few rows of radish which were interspersed with parsnip seeds. This was about 6 weeks ago

All radish have come up a treat, despite a few having slug/snail damage on the leaves.

No sign of the darn parsnips though.
                          .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Well I have to say that radish have beaten me after years and years of trying. I have taken all steps advised above and still (even though we have a cool spring) they are like bullets and started to bolt. Absolutely beyond me

Comment

Anyone care to tell me why i never, ever get a single full radish despite takiking advice here and doing everything ?

Comment

Bolting is usually assign that the plant is stressed in the early stages ie. lack of water. This could be the same problem as you have with your perpetual Spinach.
                                Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X