Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raddish bolted yet again, pathetic size again sigh......

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat some oil, add a tsp of black mustard seeds, when they have popped add a finely sliced medium onion, cook till onion is soft and just beginning to colours, add half tsp turmeric, salt, pepper, green chillies, half tin tomatoes, or fresh tomatoes. Cook for about 5 mins, add radish pod cut into roughly equal sized pieces, cook for 15 to 20 mins, add fresh chopped coriander leaves and a quarter tsp of garam masala eat and enjoy.

You can bulk it out by adding cubed potatoes,to the base sauce cooking for 5mins in sauce before adding radish pods, then cook until potatoes are cooked
    Last edited by Bal; 18-05-2014, 09:28 AM. Reason: Missed a bit!
    Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Well a few weeks on and they are still thin and straggly looking like about to bolt. :-(
      Attached Files

Comment

You can scape those they won't make much at all. Still plenty of time to reset.
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I can't do radishes either! Reading this thread with interest.
          My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

Im just a beginner so take this with a pinch of salt but I have done a few trials and managed to find a way to get some decent radishes.

I use 5 litre plastic pots and use French breakfast 3.

Fill with compost near the top, I also mix in some bonemeal as I read phosphorus helps them form.

Use a dibber or marker pen and make holes 2-3cm apart and put a seed in each, Ive find its better that way that just scattering them also make the holes deep about 3cm or so seems to work better.

Place them in the sun, this seems crucial to me, If you put them in the shade you just get weedy ones with no root.

Keep well watered so the soil stayed quite moist.

I usually get about 80% success with this method
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
              You can scape those they won't make much at all. Still plenty of time to reset.
              Why should I scrap them ? this is the thing, I made holes and placed each see in at the right depth, distance and they always end uo not forming. So what would be the point of re sowing if the same will just happen again (or not happen as the case may be) ?

As for the sun, they will just bolt. You are supposed to keep them in a cool, shady part of the garden.
              Last edited by Marb67; 17-07-2014, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post

As for the sun, they will just bolt. You are supposed to keep them in a cool, shady part of the garden.

Thats why imo you arent getting any roots, they just go leggy and reach for the light.

Comment

What does grow well in your garden?

Comment

My first sowings were great, second sowings bolted. Third sowings leggy and useless. On to sowing number four now.... fingers crossed!
                    I always leave some for radish pip-lets though they are great with an ice cold beer
                    You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
                      In my experience they need as much sun as they can get. In shade they go leggy and don't make roots.

Sunshine, lots of water and no flea beetles is what is needed.
                      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I have given up long ago on growing radishes .
                        Tried everything and they always turn woody.

And when your back stops aching,
                        And your hands begin to harden.
                        You will find yourself a partner,
                        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

You don't have to scrap them but they will not grow into useable radish.

Spring sowings should be in a sunny spot it's only later when the sun is at full power that a little shade can help. I have never found that sun makes them bolt, loads of water and good drainage also help.
                          Attached Files
                          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

For me if they go leggy I leave them to produce pods which I have come to learn (from this forum) you can eat and taste every bit as good as the root.

Comment

Hi,
                              Radishes are the only thing I have had any success with all year. Everything else has sucked.
                              I grew French Breakfast in a flower tub, a short narrow one just enough to put two rows in I could of fitted more in but the way things have been I didn't want to push my luck. Just planted them in James Bower compost. Watered the compost put the seeds in and then watered it a little more. Didn't let the compost dry out to much or get it to wet.
                              Hope this helps.
                              sigpic

Comment

My experience of growing radish in sun is they really do bolt big time.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X