No announcement yet.

Setting up a greenhouse

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 for mozzer's flower buckets. I have stacks of them to drill this week. They do 2 sizes. I use the big uns for toms and the slightly less big uns for chilli and peppers.
    While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

My GHs are all on on concrete but I've "built" raised beds around the sides, one plank high and lined the bed with plastic. Filled the beds with compost and grow my tomatoes in open bottomed pots (ring culture) set on the compost. Around the pots I grow salad leaves and other shallow rooted things.

Have a nosey at Grapes' GHs here http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...oor_59779.html
      Last edited by veggiechicken; 27-04-2014, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
        I'm getting a new, small, greenhouse as Mrs H's retirement present to me.

We're going to look at some today, starting with the Rhino ones.

The only place it will fit is on an existing concrete standing, so although I've had a greenhouse before this is the first time I've tried to grow entirely in pots.

So, what kind of pot would be best for tomatoes? Can I just use ordinary plastic ones (presumably pretty big) or should I get something fancy? Also, what kind of growing medium to put in them?
        I watched a Gardner world program a few years ago where they did an experiment on which was the best way to grow toms either grow bags or pots, or both. The best results were with a grow bag at the bottom, then pots with the bottoms cut of pushed into the grow bags, and filled with compost from another grow bag. I grew them like this for a few years at my last house where I had a green house , and they were very successfully. It meant that they could go into a smaller pot so there was more height available.
        Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I still haven't decided...

Originally posted by Bal View Post
          I watched a Gardner world program a few years ago where they did an experiment on which was the best way to grow toms either grow bags or pots, or both. The best results were with a grow bag at the bottom, then pots with the bottoms cut of pushed into the grow bags, and filled with compost from another grow bag. I grew them like this for a few years at my last house where I had a green house , and they were very successfully. It meant that they could go into a smaller pot so there was more height available.
          This sounds like a good plan. The growbag would act as an extra reservoir for water, too, so the plants wouldn't dry out nearly as quickly.

Any idea how big the pots should be for this method? And how big they should be if they are on their own?

I see Darcy tried this. I can't quite make it out from the pic but looks like 2 toms per bag.

I ordered the little Rhino, 6 feet by 8 feet, all I can squash into this tiny garden. Still, might be able to fit 6 toms along one 8 foot side, what do you reckon.

My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
          Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X