Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using those book style root trainers for the first time......

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richard Eldritch View Post
    Ha! That's true of course, but the benefits of success Vs using a few of those spare seeds? It's got to be winner... ( Oh! how I'll laugh if it snows!)
    I'd be inclined to shove a spare seed in next to the plant when you plant out so that if the frost gets the plant the seed can follow on. If it's not needed then you can always pinch out to save everything getting too congested. I think I might sow my runners over Easter but probably leave the Frenchies for another week or so as they're even more tender.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      If it's not needed then you can always pinch out to save everything getting too congested.
      I plant like that anyway (admittedly Climbing French, rather than runners, which tend to Give Up before the end of the season IME) in order to have a follow-on crop and some pods lower down the canes (from the later sowing), so I don't think the pinching out will be necessary

Although, having said that, mine are probably nearer a month from sowing-to-planting and these are, from memory, only 10 days old? maybe delay planting the alongside-bean for a week or two so that the planted ones have a head start?
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
        I plant like that anyway (admittedly Climbing French, rather than runners, which tend to Give Up before the end of the season IME) in order to have a follow-on crop and some pods lower down the canes (from the later sowing), so I don't think the pinching out will be necessary

Although, having said that, mine are probably nearer a month from sowing-to-planting and these are, from memory, only 10 days old? maybe delay planting the alongside-bean for a week or two so that the planted ones have a head start?
        Interesting technique Kristen. I think I'll give that a go..... So far so good for my early planted ones! I'm going to hate throwing out my reserve seedlings, but I've no more room in my little garden.
        Last edited by Richard Eldritch; 14-04-2014, 04:45 PM.
        Hussar!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X