heater for greenhouse.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Philthy View Post

(NB: Be careful of leaving cable on the surface overnight; my extension lead in the early days got chewed through by a badger or something. Its buried now, so no problems).

Was that the Badger or the cable that got buried?
    photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by Philthy View Post
      (NB: Be careful of leaving cable on the surface overnight; my extension lead in the early days got chewed through by a badger or something. Its buried now, so no problems).
      Burying an extension lead definitely not recommended, but maybe that's not what you meant? Needs to be armoured cable if you are going to bury it, and it has to be something like half a metre deep, and a tape above saying "Warning: Cable below"

I know it all seems a bit petty, but someone sticking a spade or a fork through a buried non-armoured cable may well come off badly.

It might be permitted to make a "temporary" cable route by attaching the cable to, say, a fence.

In case any help I bought my cable here:
      https://www.electric-cable.com/swa-electric-cable.php

I found a calculator page, somewhere on the internet, that told me how "fat" a cable I needed for the size of heater I wanted to run in the greenhouse. It works out at between 60p & £1 per metre (exc. VAT)
      Last edited by Kristen; 25-03-2014, 11:33 PM.
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Haha! (Cable)

I never found the culprit.. probably went looking for a puddle to cool off in

Comment

Hi Kristen. Yes, it's a proper cable about 2' down. Goes through the greenhouse foundation, and up the inside wall. I'd have fried myself many times by now...

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
            We weigh our propane and liquid carbon dioxide bottles once a week to prove how much is left in them.

Would hate to be 20 miles from base and run out.

Potty
            Silly question then Potty how do we find out how much they weigh with & without contents....I'm guessing then we'd just work out as it runs down...why can't they have a contents indicator on them it would be much easier.

I never thought I'd be thinking about taking bathroom scales to allotment
            The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Mum View Post
              Silly question then Potty how do we find out how much they weigh with & without contents....I'm guessing then we'd just work out as it runs down...why can't they have a contents indicator on them it would be much easier.

I never thought I'd be thinking about taking bathroom scales to allotment
              Correct me if I am wrong but I think you can get regulators with a built in contents guage.The full weight should be stamped on the cylinder and probably the empty weight too. The gas is liguid when in the cylinder and if you rock it side to side you can feel how much gas is in there (roughly).
              photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Correct Bill weights are on the cylinder.

As to wiring up your heater under ground or over ground you are strictly speaking not allowed to DIY any external wiring these days. We all do it myself included just don't tell your house insurance company.

Potty
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Mum View Post
                  Sarz how do you know when cylinder is nearly empty?.
                  The place where we bought the heater also sells gauges for the gas bottles. Although, to be really efficient it's better to have 2 bottles with a splitter/switching device between them.

Comment

If you have the heater on full blast the bottle should get condensation on the outside that freezes - which would give you a level indication. Dunno if that works for greenhouse heaters (which probably don't use much gas) compared to warehouse heaters which get through the gas at a rate of knots

But I would weight them too. Just need to know the weight when full, and then the empty weight would be that, less the weight of the gas you have bought.

We have switch over valve on bottled gas for our kitchen cooker. I found that after switch-over if I just connected the "empty" bottle we would get another month or so's cooking out of it, so I thought them wasteful. However, running out of gas during cooking is a bit different to the middle of the night when it is -10C outside ...
                    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X